utorrent == good, but SLOW

flexy

For folks in the US, Verizon and RCN (formerly Starpower) offer blazing speeds too. With Verizon Fios, u can get 15 Mbps down for $45-$50. They have 30Mbps at pushing $200. With RCN, 10Mbps down for $35-$45. They also both offer lower speeds for lower prices too. These are residential speeds, too. Not business accounts.

Im on RCN. RCN + Utorrent = 1.5GB file an 1hr 30 min.

Now I did do a test dl using them both and got the file at the same time and at the same speed. Ut is just faster than Az at a site I frequent for some unknown reason. Dont matter to me, tho. Long live Utorrent!! LOL!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came from BitTornado, and I am noticing slower speeds down and up.

With one torrent in BitTornado, I could get 40kb up very easily and within moments on every torrent I connected to on a private tracker, since I installed uTorrent, I haven't seen an upload speed higher than 15kb even when watching it for 10 minutes.

I can then pop open the same torrent with BitTornado and have it uploading at 40KB in mere moments.

I am pretty sure there is something wrong here with uTorrent, has the dev acknowledged this or is it still thought of as a "setting issue?"

Inac

No, there's nothing wrong with µTorrent. I thought that was the case too, but the friendly people in #utorrent helped me out with my configuration problems. Yes, µTorrent may need a bit more tweaking than the other programs, but I can assure you that µTorrent, once configured properly, will outgun any other BitTorrent client hands down. 8)

µTorrent ▶▶▶ *

I am pretty sure there is something wrong here with uTorrent, has the dev acknowledged this or is it still thought of as a "setting issue?"

That is what I thought initially, but I saw the enormous potential and began to experiment. After a couple days of experimentation, this is what I have going for me....

AthlonXP Barton 3000+

1.5BG Ram

more than 1/2TB HDD space

my connection is a 48k up/3MB down ADSL

i have WinXPsp2 tcpip patched unlimited

3Com wireless router (uPnP disabled)

these are my current settings (uT 1.1.7.2):

01.png

02.png

03.png

As of this posting this is the most efficient client operating for me.. DHT although sought by me is not absolutely necessary as I mostly use private trackers at this stage and right now this is the only client I have used in over a week. And I dont see another one on the horizon either. Those settings came with some experimenting and they work for me. You may have a differing set of needs. uT as it comes out of the box performs average at best but setting it to suit your needs (that is what settings are about no?) DOES yeild significant results. The question is are you willing to take the time or do you want to give your box back to the beast?? :twisted:

I dont know about you, I dont know what you know or what you do, and im not alone in this, but as far as im concerned, its a settings issue. uTorrent performs superbly for me now, but only after I worked with it a bit. Yep, invested some time, but for me the results are more than worth it.

heh, inacurate.....

03.png

Those settings came with some experimenting and they work for me. You may have a differing set of needs.

Only setting there I have different than you, is my write queue size, and I do not see how increasing it from my current 8MB to 32MB should have ANY effect on my max down / up speed, whatsoever.

I have also tried running uTorrent for a few days with low_cpu and slow_connect on true, since it seems those two settings work either true or false..just depends on the person. That there sends a flag up telling me something may be wrong.

Have tried various numbers for my Global connections and per torrent connected peers, along with different amount of upload slots( I could have BitTornado at 4 and get fast uploads ) up to 30 with not a lot of success. :(

I too see GREAT potential with uTorrent, but I also see a lot of people complaining about speed issues, with a lot of different solutions for the same problem. That flag rasies in the back of my mind again that maybe something isn't right.

Is uTorrent not dropping peers you can't connect to, or download / upload with or something else maybe? That might explain why with 654 seeds and 1411 leechers on a VERY popular torrent, I am connected to 37 and 32 respectively and the torrent has been running since yesterday. :shock:

Inac

P.S. What's the "heh, inacurate" for? :D

as Inacurate said, I have my advanced settings exactly like blacklion, except I dont us ipfilter and my queue size is 2000.

And I use the tcpip.sys patch and set it on 900 and I don't use a router + utorrent is 100% allowed in my firewall.

But I have noticed as others, that the speed is bad + I have experince that there are several seeds + peers,

but I dont connect to none of them. Like fore example it says =

seeds: 0(4) peers: 0(9)

So in short, its just not settings, I think utorrent just doens't work so well with some tracker and other BT clients.

Some of the newer DSL/cable (DSL more often) modems are combo modem/routers, so you'd still need to forward if you were behind one of those
no modem, because I dont use DSL, mine is on fiber, you just plug the tp cable into its socket in the wall :)

Have you guys port forwarded correctly? :? I was having major issues too, and setting up port forwarding correctly was part of my problem...it certainly helped me. :)

Sure have, got my router and Windows setup properly and a "Network OK" message in uTorrent. Plus the fact that BitTornado has no issues tells me things are still working properly! :)

Since my last post, I am now connected to 22( of 719 ) seeds and 48( of 1278 ) leechers. :? Only one of them is using uTorrent, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! lol... Most are using Azureus. :( :(

Inac

Hi

Have to be careful here, as everything I seem to write sounds like a flame, but Im a grumpy scotsman, so I speak like this as well.. ;)

Since my last post, I am now connected to 22( of 719 ) seeds and 48( of 1278 ) leechers. Only one of them is using uTorrent, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! lol... Most are using Azureus.

Well Im in the same boat at the minute, my current torrent is

88(234) Seeds and 97(581)peers...Im getting 45k for that..

But the way I look at it is, the tracker is maxed or something even if I was to get 1k from each of them that would max my connection, so whats the point of more seeds/peers anyway, I probably wont get any speed.

I just start a couple more things up and let it use up the rest of the bandwidth.

I was downloading last night at 113k from a site for one torrent so I know its not a Utorrent issue, on that note however there might be a little difference how Utorrent connects to some trackers.

But I have to say, If BitTornado works better for that certain tracker, just use that, or get 3 things from that tracker and it uses it all up.

8)

But the way I look at it is, the tracker is maxed or something even if I was to get 1k from each of them that would max my connection, so whats the point of more seeds/peers anyway, I probably wont get any speed.

Which is all well and good, but what happens when I am running just one torrent? Silly idea I know, just ONE torrent, but what if?

I do think uTorrent is getting "maxed or something" based on these rather simple facts. And since no one seems to know what the actual problem is, how do we not know that it isn't causing other problems? Or may cause some down the line as the dev makes changes and then finds it.

On that same torrent, I am now connected to 19 of 800 seeds and 25 of 1130 peers. Going with that, I should be able to install, open, and run this torrent with ANY bittorrent client and have NO connection issues with DEFAULT settings.

The only thing tweaking my settings or advanced settings in any client should reward me with, is fine tuning the use of my bandwidth or the amount of slots I want to use per torrent and the like. Nothing that should have any effect on the amount of seeds / leechers I connect to.

Inac

Hi, I'm new to utorrent but I don't see any speed troubles. The only thing I see is a nice and solid client.

Used to run ABC. since Azureus makes my computer crach after an hour (overheating, crappy laptop) and ever since ABC started to act funny I have been looking for a client that actually can load for 5-8 hours.

Now I found utorrent and I couldn't be happier, it's working great :)

Inacurate

Which is all well and good, but what happens when I am running just one torrent? Silly idea I know, just ONE torrent, but what if?

Yeah, but Ive always had this problem, a lot of the time its impatience from me but, I usually check how a torrent is doing after half an hour, if its usinfg 75% of my download bandwidth I usually leave it alone, if its at about 50% I might start a couple or 1 more torrent off.

I have always had that problem with Azureus , Bitcomet and the like.

I know there are a couple of trackers that will give me max bandwidth all the time, but they are very hard on Ratios so there is a reason for all the peers and seeds to be giving out lots of speed there, and strangely enough , the slacker trackers hardly give out any speed at all.

But like I said its always been like that for me, and not a client issue.

8)

It's not the quantity of peers that matter, it's the quality. A good choking algorithm is more important than being connecting to hundreds of peers. Every seed/peer in the swarm has a limited number of upload slots and they need to be managed well for a healthy swarm. Maintaining an open connection to hundreds of peers on consumer bandwidth is just a waste of resources.

same problems for me. i'm dowloading 6 torrents and today i just downloaded 460mb and uploaded 360mb.

yesterday with azureus i downloaded 2gb (yes, 2 gigabytes) and uploaded 530mb. as you can see there is a really big difference.

port forwarding is okay, i've tweaked my settings as you suggest to do but nothing changes. utorrent still downloads at 2-10kb/s, while usually i downloaded at 70+kb/s with azureus.

any ideas?

p.s. why ALL my torrents are marked with this sign? --> utorrent6mc.jpg

how can be possible that ALL the trackers are down or inaccessible?!?

but the funniest thing is that in azureus all the trackers are okay (except one, but that's okay)

i really think i will switch back to azureus, even if takes a lot of ram. utorrent is a mistery for me.

Azureus has DHT. That allows it to get a peer list with no tracker available.

Double click on the torrent and check to see if there's a space before the http://

there's a bug with uTorrent right now that causes the tracker to be inaccessible if there's a space before the URL

how can be possible that ALL the trackers are down or inaccessible?!?

but the funniest thing is that in azureus all the trackers are okay (except one, but that's okay)

i really think i will switch back to azureus, even if takes a lot of ram. utorrent is a mistery for me.

Yeh thats the problem with utorrent until dht is on the books. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I do like it but last night convinced m e that bitcomet is my primary client until utorrent comes up with a stable dht implementation. I like using public trackers for certain things and nothing is more frustrating when the tracker dies in the middle of the night and you wake up to a download that is nearly non existant. I was getting 2k with utorrent because of tracker troubles and bitcomet is running along at 30k. Work out which one you'd prefer. utorrent has potential but it just missing a vital feature at the moment. Try bitcomet out if you don't like azurues taking your ram.

I'm experiencing the same speed problems.

I've done quite a few benchmarking myself with various results

The latest test was done by downloading a complete 350 mb torrent with bitcomet, then the same with utorrent and then again with bitcomet and finaly with utorrent again.

Bitcomet both times had similar speeds, 2700 kb/s and 950 kb/s out.

utorrents speeds varied. first test gave 1200 kb/s in and 350 kb/s out and second reached 1800 in and 500 out.

utorrent also seems to take much more time to reach its maximum speed.

The torrent i'm downloading now speeds up to 3MB/s in and 900 out almost immediately while it never got over 150 kb/s in / 50 kb/s out after 5 minutes testing with utorrent.

Other testing, with less peers have shown almost identical speeds between utorrent and bitcomet, but that's with much lowers speeds, around 300 k.

utorrent also seems to take much more time to reach its maximum speed.

The torrent i'm downloading now speeds up to 3MB/s in and 900 out almost immediately while it never got over 150 kb/s in / 50 kb/s out after 5 minutes testing with utorrent.

Other testing, with less peers have shown almost identical speeds between utorrent and bitcomet, but that's with much lowers speeds, around 300 k.

This is likely due to utorrent taking much longer than Bitcomet to connect to all the peers in a swarm (even with slowconnect off). I have hope that ludde will tweak this eventually.

Archived