utorrent == good, but SLOW

flexy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does utorrent also now connect to as many peers as it can in 1.1.8? Because the slow connection was only half the issue (as others have said). The other half was that uttorrent avoided connecting to more than a fraction of a swarm, even if the connection were well below the limit.

That I don't know, since I've only used 2 torrents with fairly small swarms. :lol: But the quantity of peers isn't what matters, it's the quality of peers. uTorrent tends to drop inactive peers, which actually isn't bad because it reduces unnecessary overhead.

Quality + Quantity is preferrable. I have no problem with dropping inactive peers (in fact its a good idea), but utorrent currently ignores possibly good peers without connecting to them.

When I see (currently connected to 50 out of 70) I have to ask "what about the rest?".

It actually does connect to them, or at least tries to. Many peers are unconnectable and there's a chance that some won't connect to you ever. uTorrent cycles through the peerlist to find good peers. I believe it also reserves some slots for incoming connections as well.

Uhm...if you see 50 out of 70 peers, that's already more than enough. µTorrent doesn't need to connect to all the peers to complete a file, you know. :/

What?

I don't need to wait 15 hours to complete a file when I can wait 10, you know. :rolleyes:

It actually does connect to them, or at least tries to. Many peers are unconnectable and there's a chance that some won't connect to you ever. uTorrent cycles through the peerlist to find good peers. I believe it also reserves some slots for incoming connections as well.

If that is so, then the problem is that utorrent seems to think that many more peers are unconnectable when directly compared to other clients.

Connecting to more peers isn't going to alleviate your problem of getting the file sooner if, for example, all those peers have already maxed out their connections. There can be a variety of reasons why those 20 peers don't want to connect to you/or that you can't connect to them...that doesn't make it µTorrent's fault.

In fact, having a lot of idle peers is BAD for you while download, since it wastes upstream bandwidth on TCP communication and BT protocol communication (sending them all your haves, for example). I do believe the mainline client only goes up to 55 connections max, just to show you how little is actually required.

Oh, I think I may have figured out why you see 50 out of 70. Is it 70 in the swarm (parenthese) or uTorrent saying 50 of 70 connected? All peers are lumped as leechers, and they're moved to the seeder side when uTorrent can actually connect to them and see if they're seeders. THe tracker doesn't distinguish between the two when giving a peerlist. You may be seeing seeders that weren't connected to AND stale peers in that number, since uTorrent caches peers for 30 minutes.

Archived