How does uTorrent handle peers with no UL/DL ?

z9999

I've been running a torrent for over 24 hours and notice there are numerous peers who show no DL or UL. The torrent has several hundred peers total and over 30 seeds all of which I cannot connect to and when they try to connect they are dropped because they exceed the number of connections allowed in the options. I can connect to many more by raising the number of allowed connections, which I feel is not the best thing to do, but when I do I notice many new connections, and if I watch carefully, thay appear to be able to UL to and DL from me. This leaves me with many useless connections that for some reason or other just remain connected with no traffic flow up or down. Why doesn't uTorrent drop non-responding peers and replace them with another after some period of time? There appears to be no easy way to do so that I can find.

Also I am seeding one torrent which has 3 peers and only two seem to be getting any UL from me the third has been connected for many hours and had received about 23mB from me and now I can't seem to send to him at all, plus the other 2 peers don't seem to be sending to him either as his % has remained the same for over 12 hours.

Peers who show no download or upload for you may show piles of download or upload for someone else.

I can connect to many more by raising the number of allowed connections, which I feel is not the best thing to do

Definetly not. You're just creating more protocol overhead and less bandwidth available for actual data transfer.

Why doesn't uTorrent drop non-responding peers and replace them with another after some period of time?

It does, just not when seeding and not when in a small swarm. Right-click one of the column headings in the peers tab and put a check in "inactive" then sort by inactive.

Archived