lost all (1000's) torrents in queue

huge

My Windows 10 desktop crashed earlier today. When I restarted and opened uTorrent, I was alarmed to see a blank screen open up with zero torrents listed.

I made a copy of my AppData/Roaming/uTorrent folder and started looking at all the resume.dat* files.  I have 8 different .dat, .old & .bad files from right around the time of today's crash and a few .bad files from months-years ago. Today's files are all 6.5MB - the older .bad files are a little smaller.

I can't open any of today's resume files with Bencode, so I tried with a Hex editor and found that they are all zeros after the initial fileguard line.

The next most recent file is over 2 months old and has the extension .bad - that felt like not a very good option, but I tried opening it in BEncode - it gave the "cannot decode" error but when I asked it to recover the file it looks like it succeeded, at least partially - it shows a long list of torrent files now which probably represent the state of my uTorrent queue from two months ago.

I used a file recovery program to see if there were any more recent resume files, and found two copies of resume.dat.old from one week and two weeks ago, both of which seemed to be in good shape for recovery (ie they had not been overwritten by other files).  After recovering them, they look better in Hex editor (they contain torrent titles) but I don't know what I'm looking for to see if a resume file is corrupted.  When I try to open them with BEncode, it fails and cannot restore them.

I would REALLY like not to have to go back to a 2-month-old version of my uTorrent queue, but it's better than nothing.

Is there any way to recover a resume.dat.old file that seems like it clearly contains torrent data but BEncode can't open or recover?

thanks for any info you can provide

Have all of your downloading/seeding torrent files lost? or have you been able to recover some of them? I'm not having much idea as it is not that clear in your post. However, you can try looking your lost files in Directories in the Preferences folder at "Store .torrent files in". Or if it is the BEncoding issue, so you can cut out the last torrents and resave those with BEncode Editor. Lastly, move all of them to utorrent. I hope, this will fix your issue! :)

3 minutes ago, Brandon Hobart said:

Have all of your downloading/seeding torrent files lost? or have you been able to recover some of them? I'm not having much idea as it is not that clear in your post. However, you can try looking your lost files in Directories in the Preferences folder at "Store .torrent files in". Or if it is the BEncoding issue, so you can cut out the last torrents and resave those with BEncode Editor. Lastly, move all of them to utorrent. I hope, this will fix your issue! :)

Sorry for any lack of clarity & thanks for your reply - I didn't want to make my post too long but I see I left out some info...

I believe my .torrent files are fine - I have a folder specified in uTorrent settings to save completed .torrent files to and that folder now contains 2300 files spanning the last few years.

My problem is that whenever I open uTorrent I get an empty screen and no torrents listed as seeding, downloading, finished, etc.  Pretty clearly this is because my resume.dat file was corrupted, which wouldn't be so bad except that all 7 of the .old & .bad files that uTorrent has created today seem to be full of zeroes, and the recent recovered .old files I recovered cannot be opened by BEncode.

Update: I did manage to open the (3-month old) file resume.dat.6.bad in BEncode - it gave an error at first but when I asked BEncode to recover the file it worked for a while and reported something like "BEncode may have recovered some records".  I then clicked on "ROOT" and then "Hash" and then saved the file as resume.dat, and opened uTorrent again. It is running now with what looks like more or less my uTorrent queue from 3 months ago. The original .bad file was 5.7MB and the new resume.dat file is 3.1MB, so I don't know if I lost data in the restore process or if that's just some compacting of the file data.

What I would really like would be to recover the resume.dat.old file I found from one week ago, which SEEMS to have data in it, but BEncode logs the following messages:

[01:59:06] [BDecode] Start: "F:\resume.dat.old"
[01:59:07] [ERROR] Failed to decode the data
[01:59:11] [BDecode] Start
[01:59:12] [BDecode] End (0.001 seconds)
[01:59:14] [ERROR] Binary data cannot be edited directly

Is there any way for me to use a Hex editor to massage that file back into a state that BEncode can parse/recognise so that I don't have to re-enter, re-tag & re-start a few hundred torrents from the last 3 months?  (Maybe there's a guide somewhere to how a proper resume.dat file should look in a hex editor that would help me to see what's wrong with the recent one I'm trying to save)

Thanks again for replying...

Archived