Why are Downloads slower than Uploads?

Infamous

It depends on the other peers in the swarm. The BT protocol is designed to pick the four peers who will give you the largest download rate for a fixed upload rate that you pick. If you are the fastest uploader in their peer lists, lowering your upload rate won't matter, they will still peer with you. If you are about even in upload rate with some other peers, then lowering your upload rate will cause some peers to choke you and select others instead.

This situation is also more common in swarms with few seeders compared to peers. You are then depending mostly on the four best peers you can find for all your download bandwidth. If there are a large number of seeders, you can get some download bandwidth from each of them with out using any upload bandwidth. This increases your total download speed a lot, especially if any of the seeders has a lot of bandwidth.

Thank you, but I don't understand why I am downloading so slow. I noticed with this program peticularly it's slower than others, even if not stated from me, but others.

Such a great program, I truly don't see why it's not going faster!!! The way it should for some users. WHY O' WHY ME. LOL

Thanks again - I guess?

I know that some others have reported this, but to figure it out, we need to concentrate on one situation at a time. Have you tried a large, fast torrent like one of the Linux distro's just to make sure? If so, could you report back your results and settings? A screen shot well into the download might be helpful.

Here's a small Debian download (140MB) that is a fast torrent: http://debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso.torrent I connected and within a minute or so I was at 153MB/s download (EDIT: 153kB/s!), my max download setting in uTorrent. It stayed there with no yo-yo behavior. The tracker handed me about 40 seeders and 30 peers. uTorrent connected to the seeders first, then slowly connected to the peers (I have connect to peers slowly and low CPU usage enabled). There are larger file Debian torrents that are fast at http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386/bt-cd/ and http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386/bt-dvd/

Whoops, that was some typo. Glad your client is working fast. While you're running a large file fast torrent, notice how low the CPU and memory usage is. As long as you set your maximum upload and download speeds well within your maximum network bandwidth (70-75%), you should be able to do most anything else on the computer without much interference. For overnight use, you can go somewhat higher, but make sure to stay below your ISP allocated bandwidth. The last thing you want is for them to throttle you, as they sometimes do it by dropping random packets. Same goes for VoIP, BTW.

I have to admit that I have my doubts on small, slower torrents. The variation in those from download to download is so large that it is hard to compare it to another client in that case.

Let us know if you notice anything else!

Archived