WRT54G v.3 user needs help! Please read.

KingNautilus

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/nicoras/MS%20Paint/utorrent.jpg

That picture describes it most accurately.

I can download pretty well, but when uploading, I can barely connect to anybody. I'm lucky if I can connect to one peer to upload. I have tried elminiating my firewall (eTrust), it didn't make a difference. Utorrent's speed guide says that I correctly configured my router for port forwarding.

I am well aware that there is a sticky that describes the problem that WRT54G users have, but I didn't quite understand it, so I was hoping if a knowledgeable user here could try to simplify it for me.

First of all... it offers two scripts:

* HyperWRT Thibor (14+) (54G/GL/GS only, excluding hardware revision V5 of 54G/GS)

* DD-WRT (v23+)(54G/GL/GS excluding hardware revision V5 of 54G)

Which one of these should I use? Once again, my router is a WRT54G v.3

If anybody could get me started here, I would really appreciate it. Thanks :>

[installing third-party firmware] is neither unless your talking about alphas, betas or RCs. You do need to read and follow instructions VERY precise. Flashing (to) custom firmware without making very sure the router has been fully reset to factory defaults first is an excellent way to whack your WRT. There is always a risk with flashing (custom or manufacturer firmware), but if you know exactly what you are doing, it is fairly minimal (unless of course, the documentation says otherwise, in cases for instance where it is not known how the firmware reacts to a particulair hardware revision).

EDIT by silverfire: Why do people over-use quoting... *sigh*

You have to uninstall a firewall. Even when you disable it, it stays hooked into the system.

And WRTs are essentially unbrickable, since they have a built-in hardcoded TFTP server to recover it. And you can even short some contacts if that fails. :P

And you're supposed to reset to factory defaults + erase NVRAM AFTER flashing, Klaus.

Are you sure? I can rememeber from the Sveasoft forums that you should do it both before and after. If your uploading a new firmware which uses incompatible value's in nvram, erasing them after seems too late. I always do it before and after, that way you know it is never going to be an issue, unless there is a bug in the firmware.

Archived