Memory efficiency vs speed..

ReP0

As a developer I know that often as part of the design tradeoffs must be made. Often the trade off is smaller footprint not as fast while larger fooprint allows datastructures to maybe not be as efficient but faster to access/manage.

Because utorrent is closed source I'm unable to determine whether it would be possible for utorrent to have a user selectable toggle which if set would consume more memory but be faster (even 10%). With 2G of ram on board and 1G getting common I don't think we need to go to the extreme that we are with utorrent though I respect the decision. What I'm asking is how much speed (theoretically) are we potentially sacrificing for this memory efficiency we are seeing and can we have an option of relaxing this footprint and be rewarded in a speed increase?

For me it's a toss up of using bitcomet or utorrent. I don't use utorrent for it's much touted footprint but more due to it's nice gui. Speed is of utter importance but I also want a gui capable of providing the interface these two torrent clients provide. So far bitcomet is the winner due to dht but when utorrent get it then it will be a neck and neck race.

Fair enough. I guess I'll wait for dht to be implemented in utorrent and do a compare between my two favourite clients and choose the fastest. I hope it will be utorrent because I like the scheduler feature but that will be a secondary consideration.

Thanks!

Well I have a 4Mb/468Kb line (4853 Kb/ps down with 345 Kb/ps up... to be specific) and I average 40-60 Kb/s down and anywhere from 40-50 Kb/s up... This is maybe ~10 Kb/s faster then BitComet so I can't complain. I love the speed boost. I dont know if it could be higher but I am gonna start experimenting with my Upload Choke to see if I can tweak it higher.

Archived