Toucansurf warning

kent

Been on Toucansurf a while now on the 2MB service and have recently been capped in the evenings... Usual reasons for fair usage policy and can't do a lot about it until my year is up and i can find a new ISP .... Just letting people know so they don't get the same problems..... Now d/ling at 3-4 kb/s :-(

Alot of 'fair use' clauses basically allow the ISPs to throttle on a whim.

Even the ones that throttle for exceeding monthly quotas usually have the quotas set to 20 GB or less a month.

20 GB/month is 8 KB/sec for 30 days straight. Since 8 KB/sec is only about 65-80 kilobits/sec bandwidth and broadband is loosely defined in multiple places as at least 128 kilobits/sec...then such a connection could NOT be called "Always-on broadband"!

To be fair, anyone who isn't using P2P or other types of major file-sharing would not get anywhere near 20GB of bandwidth usage. I'll bet the FUP was clearly laid out in the sign-up contract, and if you didn't read it (or didn't ask) then you've only yourself to blame.

And frankly anyone who signs up for a 12-month broadband contract these days is being foolish, given the volatility in prices and services.

If I play 10+ player realtime multiplayer games online, I stand a good chance of using up a bit of bandwidth over a month by itself. I tend to recall an ancient game called Total Annihilation that "ate" 5-20 KB/sec upload and about 10-40 KB/sec download bandwidth just in a "big" 4-player game. Some of the 1st person shooter games might be sending out only 1/2 KB/sec for your actions, but receiving a roughly equal amount PER PLAYER.

Anyone who's gotten adware or spyware on their computer has probably seen innumerable new pop-up ads...that they probably don't want.

Even lots of websites have gone heavy on shockwave flash intros that are often 300+ KB in size. I've seen many ads now that also use flash. Animated Gifs just don't cut it anymore. Bigger, flashier, and more annoying ads than ever! Just visiting some websites, I have to block cookies 20+ times just to get to their homepage! ...or auto-allow those cookies which get accessed/modified 20+ times.

Viruses+worms can eat more bandwidth (or try to!) than file-sharing programs, yet ironically most ISPs don't even do much about that -- despite the real dangers to everyone on the internet!

Just 8 KB/sec for 30 days is 20 GB traffic.

If we're to see more widespread rollouts of "internet technologies", such as VoIP and video conferencing, that's not enough.

Archived