My ISP Detected and Warned that I Downloaded Content

rent

Recently I had received a warning from my ISP that it detected unsolicited downloads to my PC from P2P sites. It asks that I cease from ever downloading such content. I want to know if I can get in serious trouble if I continue. Would they likely pursue a criminal or legal matter against me if I don't heed their warning?

The only thing your ISP would do is terminate your service. Something which I believe is rarely done even after issuing numerous warnings as you could just go with another service provider. Your ISPs warning is most likely the result of them receiving information from a copyright holder, or group acting on behalf of the copyright holder.

Only copyright holders would seek a prosecution, but they would have to have prove it's actually you doing the downloading which is very difficult. Having information such as IP address, times, dates, file being shared etc. doesn't prove who the actual downloader is.

13 minutes ago, mike20021969 said:

The only thing your ISP would do is terminate your service.

Only copyright holders would seek a prosecution, but they would have to have prove it's actually you doing downloading which is very difficult.

Hi Mike. This is the email they emailed me. Let me know what you think since you mentioned that copyrught holders would seek prosecution. And let me know what you'd do please. Thanlk you. Heres the email. Note that I hide some info as "hidden" for my privacy:

We have been notified that copyrighted content may have been shared using your Internet connection without permission of the copyright owner.

What does that mean?

Copyright owners (such as artists, moviemakers, and authors) and their representatives routinely monitor peer-to-peer networks to see if their content (such as music, movies, and TV shows) is being shared without their permission. If they notice somebody sharing their content without their permission through a Time Warner Cable account, they let us know.

As the primary account holder, you are responsible for making sure your account is not used for copyright infringement. Please note that we don’t know which computer or other device may be the one to have triggered the notification; it could be any device using your account.

What was allegedly shared and when?

File Name:  “hidden”

Content Type: Video

Content URL:

Shared: “hidden”

IP Address: “hidden”

6 hours ago, rent said:

Recently I had received a warning from my ISP that it detected unsolicited downloads to my PC from P2P sites. It asks that I cease from ever downloading such content. I want to know if I can get in serious trouble if I continue. Would they likely pursue a criminal or legal matter against me if I don't heed their warning?

That is between your ISP and you. We don't help with such problems.

Archived