Double Buffering

traskjd

Just a small request.

When the region with information (bottom half) updates, on occassion, it flickers slightly. Picky, I know, but enabling double buffering would ensure that it's more smooth. In particular this applies to the download progress bars.

Cheers,

John-Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
Never even notice it,

and about the games without vsync.. You get such better FPS with it off anyways. :D

Actually no. Sure the card might render them, but they are never actually displayed. You can only have as many fps as your monitor is capable of showing. There is really no reason to leave vsync off unless you're benchmarking. It also helps reduce the "tearing" effect which is what we are referring to here.

IIRC, depending on what type of vsync you're using, it might actually slow your games down, if your card can't output at the given vsync level (60, for example). If your graphics card can't output the 60 fps that vsync is telling it to, it drops to the next level (I think it was 30 fps). I don't remember where the article read was (I'll try to dig it up, and post a link here...)

Edit: Wow, that was fast. I found the link ;P

If you're playing a game that has a framerate that routinely stays above your refresh rate, then VSync will generally be a good thing. However if it's a game that moves above and below it, then VSync can become annoying. Even worse, if the game plays at an FPS that is just below the refresh rate (say you get 65FPS most of the time on a refresh rate of 75Hz), the video card will have to settle for putting out much less FPS than it could (37.5FPS in that instance). This second example is where the percieved drop in performance comes in. It looks like VSync just killed your framerate. It did, technically, but it isn't because it's a graphically intensive operation. It's simply the way it works.

Never even notice it' date='

and about the games without vsync.. You get such better FPS with it off anyways. :D[/quote']

Actually no. Sure the card might render them, but they are never actually displayed. You can only have as many fps as your monitor is capable of showing. There is really no reason to leave vsync off unless you're benchmarking. It also helps reduce the "tearing" effect which is what we are referring to here.

when I turn vsync off my fps goes from 25 to 130 on Counter Strike

• 3 weeks later...

There are monitors that go that high -- and higher -- though (you probably know that, but I'm just writing this in case, since I can't tell from the tone of your post =P). But either way, what ColdArmor was trying to point out was that the framerate drops massively. A drop to 25 FPS is definitely noticable.

V-Sync is only supposed to be turned on when you're suffering from "tearing", otherwise it should remain off for maximum FPS. However, I've found that most LCD's (mine included) need it set to on to prevent all sorts of artifacts appearing on the screen, probably due to typical LCD latency etc. Yes, it can drop your framerate to half if your graphics card cannot maintain a constant 60 FPS or higher (assuming your refresh rate is set to 60 Hz), but sometimes that reduction in FPS is better than the almost impossible to handle "tearing" that would occur otherwise. :)

Archived