utorrent changes names of torrent files

michaeldare

Utorrent stores my torrent files in the standard place (\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent). It has always saved torrent files with their actual names, like "The.Simpsons.S28E11.HDTV.x264-KILLERS[ettv].torrent." This can be useful if I need to redownload something. But just last week it started RENAMING torrent files with nonsense, like "88CB4FF99A52F7BB81DDAFBBB7D7C9907AF51B94.torrent." These are useless. Why is this happening? Did I accidentally change a preference to cause this? How do I go back to torrent files saved with their actual names?

"88CB4FF99A52F7BB81DDAFBBB7D7C9907AF51B94.torrent." -This looks like hash data. Maybe when you initially started a new torrent, you mistakenly typed wrongly or tick

some unknown file name. Just my guess. You can check this from the "Info" tab(near the bottom part), then under General you can see save as:.........  

Also, double check again under the top "Options",Preferences,Directories.

10 hours ago, michaeldare said:

it started RENAMING torrent files with nonsense, like "88CB4FF99A52F7BB81DDAFBBB7D7C9907AF51B94.torrent."

Are you clicking a magnet link or adding the torrent manually?

If I add your download manually, i.e. magnet:?xt=urn:btih:88CB4FF99A52F7BB81DDAFBBB7D7C9907AF51B94, using "Add Torrent from URL" button, it initially has the file name "magnet (88CB4FF99A52F7BB81DDAFBBB7D7C9907AF51B94)" until some initial data it downloaded, then the correct name, "The Rachel..." etc, is shown.

Maybe a setting has been altered, although I'm not sure which one. Perhaps try with a new settings.dat file to see if that cures it.

Archived