Multithreaded Disk I/O

muhfugen

It would be nice if you added configurable multi-threaded disk I/O. When rechecking torrents the process is agonizingly slow when they are stored on a SMB share. There are 3 relevant VMs in this configuration, one being uTorrent running on Server 2016 Core, and a pair of Server 2016 Core File Services VMs in a failover cluster on a VMware ESXi 6.5 host. The VMs are all on the same host but uTorrent and the the fileserver VMs are on separate VLANs. The host has dual 10GbE trunked network connections to a Cisco Catalyst 3750E performing interVLAN routing. The files being checked are on a RAID 6 comprised of 8x 4TB HGST UltraStar 7K4000s behind an Areca 1883ix-24 RAID card. So this problem shouldn't be due to a lack of hardware. When uTorrent is checking the files, the VM uses only ~70% of a single core so giving this VM more vCPUs cant be used to fix the problem, but adding vCPUs could fix the performance problems if disk I/O was multithreaded. Network usage is a paltry ~700Mbps, and the disk utilization on the file server VM is almost nil as you can see in this screenshot:

http://imgur.com/a/p0FfK

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to multi-thread the disk I/O for checking files in a basic implementation such as just checking separate files in different threads. Or if you want to spend more time on the implementation, checking different parts of large files in multiple threads.

Archived