So, does mean alot of people or just, a few?

Mavsn

huh.jpg

That is a typical torrent, usually of something popular. This torrent had been live for only 4 or 5 hours so the amount of seeds listed does seem possible, considering it is only a 350 meg file.

Now does the listed number of Seeds and Peers mean, how many uTorrent can see? Or is it how many uTorrent has managed to connect to? How about the total number of Seeds and Peers that the tracker has had avaible so far at various given points of time?

I ask cause, well hell look at the numbers...

I realize, most people are leechers, whom will never upload or if they do it's at like 1 or 2 kb/s. That's fine.

But with a total of over 25,000 people, 3000+ whom have the completed file and 22,000+ that are peering it, I expect better than a whopping 10 or 20 kb down. I'm not blaming uTorrent, I'm just curious as to what the numbers displayed in this particular BT client, mean.

As for speeding it up, yea I've played with my up speeds, if I max it out then it chokes the dl, if I leave it at 1/2 or 2/3 then doing other things like using Ventrillo or an online game are impossible due to my bandwidth already being used (which is the great thing about uTorrent, the low cpu usage). Other than hammering "Update Tracker" theres generally no way to make the torrent try to connect more, and even so it doesn't appear to do so.

I know, I know, someone is gonna reply "well you need to be patient blah blah blah" I am and I swear to god I normally am. You don't know how many times I've left 8 or 9 or 10 gig torrents run over night for nine or ten hours, for days even weeks, to get a torrent completed. When I had to download Sliders season 4, at 2kb for like 3 weeks, yea I learned long ago to be patient. However, a simple, simple 350 meg file, should not take me 8 hours or even 6 hours. With that many peers and seeds listed, you assume theres quite a few non-leechers in the crowd. It almost feels like 1998 and getting stuff off fserve bots on their 56k connections before broadband was so prominent (which personally I thought was much slower than newsgroups).

/end rant/question mode

Considering the seed/leech ratio and your slow 6kB/s upload you're doing very well.

If you were in that much of a hurry then close down your games or whatever and give some bandwidth back!

You skipped over part of what I wrote.

I shouldn't even bother re-typing what I clearly made a point of saying, but since others will fully read the statement I'll be gracious enough to point it out, again..

yea I've played with my up speeds, if I max it out then it chokes the dl, if I leave it at 1/2 or 2/3 then doing other things like using Ventrillo or an online game are impossible due to my bandwidth already being used (which is the great thing about uTorrent, the low cpu usage).

So, I can up my bandwidth up speed, so it basically makes my dl speed crap (which it already is), AND not be able to do much online for a simple 350 meg file. Or, I can throttle it down to a medium-low to low speed as is, and have it take forever.

The above paragraph is Bittorrent 101. Welcome to 2002/03 when we all learned that the first times around.

My questions are pertaining to how uTorrent is connecting to Seeds and Peers. Even if I connected to all 26,000 users, I can still have my options of bandwidth usage. If I want it all dedicated to that, in that specific situation, I'll leave it uncapped. If not I'll throttle the settings.

And again as I pointed out before, in this specific situation, an immensely popular torrent that pertains a file that is simply 350 megabytes big, shouldn't be going at such slow speeds. Leechers aside, I'm not saying uTorrent is slow, again I am simply asking how it handles connecting to the maximum amount of peers and seeds as the needed data is given/taken.

About these numbers:

The numbers in parenthesis is the amount of peers that µTorrent has received information about (how many peers that are connected to the tracker(s)), so you are connected to 7 seeders and 24 leechers.

Looking at the Seeder/Leecher ratio: Most BitTorrent clients have a default number of upload slots per torrent (Azureus uses 4 as default).

By calculating a bit, you will see that if everyone would have 4 slots set, 13320 slots in total would be open from the seeders and that's more than the total amount of leechers. Therefore, you will not be able to connect to many seeders.

Of course, not all seeders have 4 slots set, but you get the picture.

You are downloading from the leechers too, but if, say, all the leechers would have downloaded only 5% of the file, you could have troubles getting pieces you haven't already downloaded. And the same goes for the leechers: 4 slots per torrent makes little left for you.

That specific torrent is slow for some reason. Downloading that same file I only get about 100kb/s down and 80kb/s up after 30 minutes.

If you look at the peer dl. column, you'll see that nobody else is getting better speeds, regardless of client.

It's a typical leecher torrent.

That specific torrent is slow for some reason. Downloading that same file I only get about 100kb/s down and 80kb/s up after 30 minutes.

If you look at the peer dl. column, you'll see that nobody else is getting better speeds, regardless of client.

It's a typical leecher torrent.

Thats what I came to think too. The file, isn't from a register required site when you are forced to maintain a good ratio. It's just one from a run-of-the-mill torrent sites.

But even so ya know, you start to break down the math, even with the default or lower # of upload connections per peer and seed, you should be connected to alot more than 30 seeds & peers total. I mean the torrent peaked out at like 37,000 people on it and I couldn't manage to locate more than 32 people? I'm no mathmatician but them numbers seem awfully off the mark.

But hey, calculating a bit (And these numbers are taken very low) there are 102424 slots open (3330*4 + 22276*4), which will make around 4.6 slots per downloading peer (102424/22276). You are connected to 7+24=31 peers. That's way more than 4.6, so you can see that the average slots availabe is more than 4, which could be foreseen.

But even so, you shouldn't take it for granted that you would be able to connect to all of the seeds.

If you say that this is a public tracker, it makes me believe that many users are using upload limits and that many users are using modem connections. That would set their upload speeds to around 10kB/s, perhaps 15kB/s. If you divide this by the number of open slots per peer (4) you get speeds between 2.5 and 3.5 kB/s. Multiplying that with 7 gets you to speeds between 17 and 25 kB/s, which is pretty much the speeds you get.

I would say this is rather normal actually.

Archived