IP Filtering sub-request

kinch

I read most of the other posts regarding filtering, and from what I've seen, the threads generally decay into an argument about bloat vs pirated items vs usefulness. I'm hoping this one won't.

Ludde has already implemented filtering (even if it isn't technically enabled yet ;) ) and he's posted in another thread that it will be fully functional in v1.1.7. On this note, I'd like to request that the ip filtering have both global options, and also per-torrent options. I am planning on using utorrent for all my torrenting needs, and (though no one will believe me ;) ) I do have legitimate uses for torrents with filters, and torrents without filters.

I sincerely hope this feature wouldn't be too complicated to add, and will be given due consideration for the benefit of all users.

Indeed, I could run 2 instances. That would most likely do what I want it to. It's just a matter of convenience. Which one do I associate with torrents? For example: say I downloaded 8 torrents, and only one of then needed filtering turned off. Then I just open the utorrent window, choose the torrent, turn off filtering, and go back to my leeching. It just seems more convenient than having to choose the right utorrent, opening it up, opening that particular torrent, then opening up the filtered version of utorrent, opening the torrents, and then going on my happy way. Convenience. And when I think that adding an option to each torrent to turn on/off filtering would probably be only a few lines of code, I didnt think it would be all that complicated.

As for the legitimate use, I'm kind of amused you put it in quotes. Almost like you didn't quite believe me..... But anyway, I only used that line to stave off the inevitable responses of "you're a pirating jerk so your opinion is worthless" which overtook a few other threads about IP filtering.

One thing that shocks me is that about 12 hours after I posted this request, it's already 3 pages down on the request forum! How are the devs ever gunna see it?! I wonder, if every single request was filled, wouldnt we end up with Azureus?

As for the legitimate use, I'm kind of amused you put it in quotes. Almost like you didn't quite believe me..... But anyway, I only used that line to stave off the inevitable responses of "you're a pirating jerk so your opinion is worthless" which overtook a few other threads about IP filtering.

I wasn't implying anything about you, I take posts at face value. What I meant was that your request would not be useful to the majority of other users and would find little incentive for implementation. So, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. :)

What are you hoping this thread will add that the others don't?

The part about per-torrent filtering. As far as I can tell, all the other's just requested a general ip filter, and the replies were mostly arguments about 'bloated program' vs 'just use peerguardian'.

vurlix: Some ISP's (alot of them nowadays, although not that many in North America) have 'free' traffic and 'quota' traffic (the free traffic is usually from certain addresses within the ISP - you see how a customisable ip-filter would be of help now?). Any user of such an ISP (provided the users know about free vs quota traffic) would find this feature useful. I felt that I would benefit from this feature, and so would alot of others, which is the reason I requested it. Anyway, I've made my request, the devs have clearly seen it, so I guess from now on it's up to them whether it gets implemented. I sure hope it does.

Yeah sounds like an australian thing. I know it is big here, they have peering between ISPs to cut down data costs and give users 'free' data between them because in Australia we have download quotas. I don't know about any other client that does per torrent filtering like this but I know there are emule type lists to filter out this traffic that uTorrent can use.

Oh hey kinch heh, yeah normally when these things happen you get quite a few external peers, but if it is only a couple chances are you won't dl too much from them and it won't effect your quota too much. or get a real plan with decent quota boy! :P

Archived