help! a newbie with torrent here :(

madz621

That depends on what connection you have (both upload and download speed). If you have 400+kbps, you would be able to download a movie sized to 700 MB in around 4 hours if you are downloading in max speed constantly.

It would also depend on how many users are connected. The more leechers (shown as peers), the slower you will get the file and the more seeds, the faster you will get the file. These are dependant of eachother, so if the peers amount is greater than the seed amount, you might get slower speeds.

A movie....and you started yesterday....and you want it done immediately....if its so important to have it done minutes after starting, why not buy it ? Movies tend to be HUGE between 1.5gb and 4.3 gb. That, even with the fastest broadband, and seeds all with equally fast broadbands, will take a day at least - and thats everything at the fastest with no other peers to slow you down. I think you doing OK at that speed. It seems that you'll have it inside a week.

By the contrary - I tried to d/l from Robotolabs series 16 of the Simpsons at just over 2gb - I gave up after a week on 16%. It was getting slower and slower.

You win some you lose some.

Just as a general rule madz, if you are downloading a (legal?) movie, that movie will be between 1 and 4.5GB and expect it to take 1-3 days if you are on any sort of a normal connection. The earlier you jump on a torrent that size it WILL be slower until more peers join and the swarm gets going. even if you can DL at 400k and you did it at max speed itll still take 12-16 hours. movies take a while.

Archived