Issue With Connections

DarkAsHell

When I initially made the switch to uTorrent I was very satisfied. It worked perfectly and was the most efficient program I have yet to use. However, recently there have been some issues. While I was normally able to connect and download files at a regular rate I now have trouble getting any connections. Although a file has thousands of leechers/seeders, uTorrent tells me none are online. I thought this might be due to the files I was attempting to obtain. However, I tried the exact same torrent which I had great results with and I am stuck at .1% with thousands of seeders/leechers (although apparently none are online). Does anyone know what has changed? I thought my IP might have been blacklisted but I have a 1.8+ share ratio.

Is UPnP and DHT enabled? (they've been causing a lot of people trouble)

What's your half-open connection limit set to? (Microsoft's upgrades like to really mess up µTorrent if it's set higher than 8!)

What's your connection's speed (as determined by Speed Guide CTRL+G)?

What Speed Guide settings are you using?

Is UPnP and DHT enabled? (they've been causing a lot of people trouble)

Both are enabled. Should they be?

What's your half-open connection limit set to? (Microsoft's upgrades like to really mess up µTorrent if it's set higher than 8!)

I believe this might be the problem. I checked my event log and it is full of 4226 codes. I'll try using LVL Lord's patch which should unlock the number of half-open connections.

What's your connection's speed (as determined by Speed Guide CTRL+G)?

I'm not sure if this is what you want but my upload speed is 55 KB/s and my download is 271.3 KB/s.

What Speed Guide settings are you using?

Upload limit: 72 kB/s

Connections (per torrent): 100

Max Active Torrents: 20

Upload Slots: 5

Connections (global): 450

Max Active Downloads: 20

Hopefully this info is helpful. If the patch works I'll let you guys know.

If you're having problems, one of the first things to try is disabling DHT and UPnP...as they usually are hard on networking hardware and firewall software allike.

Your connection's upload speed (according to the speed guide test) is only 55 KB/sec -- yet you told µTorrent to try to upload at 72 KB/sec. It might explain some of the problems you're still getting.

If the torrents you're trying to download aren't almost totally dead (<5 KB/sec combined upload and download speeds) then you've definitely got max active+downloading torrents set too high. I believe the speed guide's recommendations for your connection is only 3 or 4 max active torrents.

Decrease the half-open connections allowed in µTorrent's advanced settings to only 8...or even as low as 4!

If you're having problems, one of the first things to try is disabling DHT and UPnP...as they usually are hard on networking hardware and firewall software allike.

Your connection's upload speed (according to the speed guide test) is only 55 KB/sec -- yet you told µTorrent to try to upload at 72 KB/sec. It might explain some of the problems you're still getting.

If the torrents you're trying to download aren't almost totally dead (<5 KB/sec combined upload and download speeds) then you've definitely got max active+downloading torrents set too high. I believe the speed guide's recommendations for your connection is only 3 or 4 max active torrents.

Decrease the half-open connections allowed in µTorrent's advanced settings to only 8...or even as low as 4!

I diabled DHT and UPnP. Suddenly I am able to connect. This seems to have fixed all of my problems. Thank you.

Don't triple post... -.-

As for the "light," you only see it if you're running a torrent. It's either red, yellow, or green, shouldn't be hard to find...

I have numerous active torrents and no where on my screen do I see a red, green, or yellow light. And I appologize for the multiple posts but as I tried to correct my problem I posted so that others who read my thread would know what I had tried and whether it worked.

I disable it because I use a bunch of private trackers, and they have it as one of their rules to disable DHT.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#What_is_DHT.3F

DHT (Distributed Hash Table, technical explanation) is an addition to certain BitTorrent clients that allows them to work without a tracker. What this means is that your client will be able to find peers even when the tracker is down, or doesn't even exist anymore. It allows the swarm to continue as normal without a tracker. You can also host torrents without a tracker. (see Does µTorrent support trackerless torrents?).

µTorrent's DHT implementation is the same as Mainline and BitComet's, but unfortunately this is incompatible with Azureus's implementation.

DHT uses UDP packets and an exponential connection model. (more people = more bandwidth needed)

It is only marginally useful on small torrents that are low on seeds/peers...and no use at all on torrents with 1+k Seeds+Peers.

On the other hand, there may be some way to search for new torrents via DHT.

DHT is like trying to strap the Gnutella network's search ability on top of BitTorrent.

Archived