3.5.x Beta

TylerW

Just had 44632 just completely force close on me after I started downloading a torrent, never had that happen before, no dump file either, nothing in the Windows logs. =/

What the heck happened to 3.5.5?

Looks like I've frozen it this time, disk cache overload, whole UI is frozen. Guess I need to tame my download speed.

Ain't the first person to experience this and sure won't be the last. The client sure as heck shouldn't be hanging.. Just stop the torrent for a bit or something? 
uTorrent should be smart enough to choke a torrent if the disk can't keep up.

Edited by Ryrynz

On 01/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, mike20021969 said:

3.6.6.44841available:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5604B82412B5533375680485891A0D5FD204D151

Binary size: 2.23 MB (2,341,816 bytes) / MD5: 80B8301A31934E13148AAB97EAD79597

No changelog.

Where is  the BT inc server for those betas nowadays?

The UI responsiveness needs some work, I've got uTorrent completely freezing the UI while it downloads fine in the background, the mouse over in the taskbar shows uTorrent is downloading/uploading & completing torrents fine but the UI isn't updating if I bring up the full window and at times it just stays blank with no torrents showing in the window at all. My CPU is only at 25% (It's a quad i7) and I have oodles of RAM to spare. Once the torrent has finished downloading, the UI is back to working properly again. Doubt it'll make much difference but I changed the GUI to update every 2 seconds instead of 1. ANyone got any other options they know of that might help?

Edited by Ryrynz

Haven't changed much of anything, certainly haven't touched any of the more advanced stuff, just cache and ads, connections, loathe to do defaults TBH, wouldn't that mess with my labels? Bout 350 active. 500 max connections is pretty sane yeah? Maybe I should lower it a bit more? Anyway does the UI not have it's own thread or something? Changed a few GUI options as well, will report back if it improves things.

Edited by Ryrynz

56 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

Haven't changed much of anything, certainly haven't touched any of the more advanced stuff, just cache and ads, connections, loathe to do defaults TBH, wouldn't that mess with my labels? Bout 350 active. 500 max connections is pretty sane yeah? Maybe I should lower it a bit more? Anyway does the UI not have it's own thread or something? Changed a few GUI options as well, will report back if it improves things.

Make a backup of the folder that contains all the *.dat files etc., so restoring back shouldn't be an issue.

The only file that would be changed for default values would be the settings.dat file (and re-blocking the ad value entries shouldn't be too much hassle).

Edited by mike20021969

Changing the GUI refresh rate gui.update_rate from 1000 msec to 2000 or 3000 can help , but just a bit...

And 300 active, and 500 connections (active downloads) is too mach IMHO .... You are welcome to try with my settings (@sig)

Edited by rafi

As there is no Stable thread...

3.5.4.44846 available:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:95C8617F85BBBB316C4E1F445439391787C17B6B

Binary size: 1.65 MB (1,738,936 bytes) / MD5: CABC2DB0BB2DB3A6C6B1855D15722E28

========================================================================

Changelog:
uTorrent 3.5.4 For Windows (build 44846)
November 14, 2018
– Removed old trial streaming functionality
– Remove old embedded html video player

Edited by mike20021969
Smaller Binary | Added Changelog

On 11/5/2018 at 1:32 AM, rafi said:

Changing the GUI refresh rate gui.update_rate from 1000 msec to 2000 or 3000 can help , but just a bit.

Tried some tweaks but UI still freezes. net.low_cpu isn't set and the only thing I thought might be related here.
WebUI is perfectly fine, updates in time but the main UI is completely frozen until downloads slow down.

Seems to happen when it reaches about 20MB/s or so, UI comes right after it drops below this. PC is still responsive, CPU only at 25%

so it's related to the amount of connections and the UI, I might drop the connections by half and see if that changes anything, 

I'd rather the performance anyway screw the UI, but the dev/s should look at making the UI better threaded perhaps.

Edited by Ryrynz

3 hours ago, rafi said:

It seems to recognize the previous beta as NEWER... :(

Are you referring to 3.6.6.44841? Most likely 3.5.4.44846 is reading the updates.dat file and detecting 3.6.6 and not taking the build into account also.

For me, updates.dat is not (really) necessary for uTorrent to work as it should. It basically just stores every version of uTorrent you've used.

Personally, I disabled updates.dat years ago (now an empty 0 kB, Read-only file).

lBTCVYmT_o.jpg

Take the plunge - replace the binary and enjoy the latest "slimline" Stable before it balloons again :)

Edited by mike20021969
  • Like 1