3.5.x Beta

TylerW

• 2 weeks later...

with new 3.5.3.44428 I get a new error message at the very beginning of the log upon startup:

[2018-05-08 10:21:35]  Can't read directory in web UI archive 'C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\webui.zip'

that path has no webui.zip file, never did.  a hold over ??  I do not have the webui turned on in prefs dialog, and all webui advanced variables are set to *false.

7 minutes ago, javacatpaul said:

with new 3.5.3.44428 I get a new error message at the very beginning of the log upon startup:

[2018-05-08 10:21:35]  Can't read directory in web UI archive 'C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\webui.zip'

that path has no webui.zip file, never did.  a hold over ??  I do not have the webui turned on in prefs dialog, and all webui advanced variables are set to *false.

What path is your exe located in?  This (temporary) file should be there...   Are you sure you have WebUI disabled (pref->advanced->webUI)? 

Anyways, I'd say just ignore it. With WebUI enabled I am also getting several error messages, but otherwise, WebUI is working fine... :

[2018-05-08 17:38:18]  WebUI file not found - attempting to download
[2018-05-08 17:38:18]  Attempting to download web UI archive from http://pr.apps.bittorrent.com/client-webui/3.5/client-webui.json to C:\Users\rafi\AppData\Local\Temp\utt2930.tmp
[2018-05-08 17:38:19]  WebUI file not found - attempting to download
[2018-05-08 17:38:19]  Attempting to download web UI archive from http://pr.apps.bittorrent.com/client-webui/3.5/client-webui.json to C:\Users\rafi\AppData\Local\Temp\utt2BE2.tmp
[2018-05-08 17:38:19]  Client already has current web UI version

the exe is in two places, as it always has been [and I never knew why...]:

'C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\utorrent.exe"     and

'C:\Program Files (x86)\utorrent\utorrent.exe"

the one launched from the start menu is the user-local one.  this results in three occurrences in Task Manager, the user-local one and two utorrentIE.exe children.  Again, it's been that way for a long time now...

and yes, webui is NOT enabled in prefs | advanced | webui, nor are any vrbls enabled.

I have never enabled WebUI over the years, and never downloaded it manually.  I do not "see" it try to download the json file at startup [when monitoring net traffic].  my proxy doesn't seem to block it [Privoxy], nor does my hosts file or dns.

Anyway, just something new I noticed...

user-local is the appdata one; the other "normal" location has been present since uT version 3 was unveiled. 

FWIW, when I update I just put the new exe into both dir's and launch, it autoupdates - I don't run the newer SETUP releases.  This is the old traditional way of doing it; it's always worked... [and as I recall this is the rafi recommend way to do it, to preserve all preference settings; maybe it was another guru... ;) ].

Anyway, based on your post I went to that " Attempting to download web UI archive.."  location and managed to download the said json file, followed its link and renamed it to webui.zip and placed it into the appdata folder, and now the error is gone.  Why it didn't auto-download that I do not know, perhaps because of my old setup structure.

BUT I do think this points to a bug in the new version, IF webUI is off why is the code even bothering to check the bloody zip!

BTW, I reran the test at "http://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/utorrent-crash-test.html" and the new version doesn't crash, that's what's most important.  That was an ugly day when they uncovered that snafu...

On to another issue with recent releases:

Upload Rate Limit.  I have prefs set to allow a higher upload rate when there are no tor's downloading.  This feature used to work, but now [when there are NO tors downloading AT ALL] it seems to constantly oscillate between the regular rate and the alt rate; this can be seen in both the status bar legend and the speed-tab's "upload rate limit" graph line.  the actual rate never seems to go above the normal rate.  It looks to me like the transport overhead (of 2kbs) is being considered, which it shouldn't since there are NO torrents in DL state at all.  This feature's "sensitivity" needs to be adjusted so it works better.

And just one more long-time gripe - the logger pane initializes BLANK if there are no torrents, STILL.

47 minutes ago, javacatpaul said:

On to another issue with recent releases:

Upload Rate Limit.  I have prefs set to allow a higher upload rate when there are no tor's downloading.  This feature used to work, but now [when there are NO tors downloading AT ALL] it seems to constantly oscillate between the regular rate and the alt rate; this can be seen in both the status bar legend and the speed-tab's "upload rate limit" graph line.  the actual rate never seems to go above the normal rate.  It looks to me like the transport overhead (of 2kbs) is being considered, which it shouldn't since there are NO torrents in DL state at all.  This feature's "sensitivity" needs to be adjusted so it works better.

And just one more long-time gripe - the logger pane initializes BLANK if there are no torrents, STILL.

Known issue. A fix is in my tips-guide (@sig) -> P.  

Edited by rafi

Could you, please, tag a new (patch) version (3.5.4) with the latest changes?

As far as I can tell, you fixed/patched a huge security issue (bug) in the latests builds, so this is not the case for a simple build, but for a new patch version or even a minor version.

Note that not every torrent server track build versions, as they are not really mandatory and not present in things like Semantic Versioning (https://semver.org/) and those who blacklisted uTorrent 3.5.3 still have it blacklisted now.