3.5.x Beta

TylerW

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 8:31 AM, rafi said:

Question is - how well does it work (on x64)? Can you see the memory (Process Explorer)  go over 1900M w/o any internal hard coded limit, and no hangup/crash?

On 10/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, rafi said:

Who crashes - Windows? ... ;P  Try my LAA version...

Google does not allow to download the LAA file anymore, says there's a virus there.

Can you create a LAA version of the latest beta? Because that's what I'm using.

------

Update: I managed to create an LAA version myself (there are tools available on the Internet, apparently.) It works beautifully. Suddenly, no crashes in 3 days and counting. Thanks for the great idea!

(I wish there was a native 64-bit version of uTorrent, though. C'mon, it's 21st century already.)

Edited by Bacc
Update on crash status

On 10/16/2020 at 8:49 AM, Bacc said:

Google does not allow to download the LAA file anymore, says there's a virus there.

Can you create a LAA version of the latest beta? Because that's what I'm using.

------

Update: I managed to create an LAA version myself (there are tools available on the Internet, apparently.) It works beautifully. Suddenly, no crashes in 3 days and counting. Thanks for the great idea!

(I wish there was a native 64-bit version of uTorrent, though. C'mon, it's 21st century already.)

This is a false positive (likely due to a signature mismatch)... Google does issue a warning (only),  they are still offering an option to download it... :)

Edited by rafi

15 hours ago, rafi said:

This is a false positive (likely due to a signature mismatch)... Google does issue a warning (only),  they are still offering an option to download it... :)

I've not seen Google block the LAA, but MS Windows certainly has. I've allowed it through Windows Defender (itself a bit of a mission) but it can keep reminding of a PUA unless further steps are taken.

This is what I see when trying to download LAA file today:

image.thumb.png.cf35699233570636f5039288817a76a4.png

Couple days ago the stub was similar, but wording was about a virus. In either case, there does not seem to be a link to bypass the message and unblock the file.

Windows Defender does block uTorrent in general, regardless of patches. At least, that's what my experience was. However, LAA patch will make the file even less trustworthy (and rightfully so) because it breaks the digital signature.

9 hours ago, gjm said:

I've not seen Google block the LAA, but MS Windows certainly has. I've allowed it through Windows Defender (itself a bit of a mission) but it can keep reminding of a PUA unless further steps are taken.

Right, you can exclude it if needed in your A/V app, and also  *exclude* it Windows Security/Defender->Virus & threat protection settings -> exclusions ...

For now, I've added to the Google Drive link another host-site link..

Edited by rafi

Can we just take a second and reflect - those developing this app are doing so for little, if any, reward. Coming on here and shouting the odds, complaining, whining and whinging is hardly encouraging.

Constructive input with a full picture of situation is what is needed. Not cries of 'useless!'

We're fortunate to have access to cutting edge developments. Support that, don't disparage it.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:07 AM, rafi said:

There is no virus in it.. it is definitely a signature mismatch.   It works great.  I have no idea why the Utorrent programmers don't turn the Large Address Aware flag on. 

On 10/21/2020 at 1:39 AM, rafi said:

Right, you can exclude it if needed in your A/V app, and also  *exclude* it Windows Security/Defender->Virus & threat protection settings -> exclusions ...

I also have the same problem when I try to download defended is quick to block and remove it.

How can I backup my current torrents upgrade to your LAA version and restore my torrent data?  Can you help point me in the right direction?

17 hours ago, R2_D2 said:

... when I try to download Defender is quick to block and remove it.

Download, run it, open Windows Defender, you see Current Threats, left click on it to look more options, select Allow on this device, then select Start the action. There is option to select allow, then won't be deleted next time you download or run. If something is put into quarantine then there's option to restore it, just look at the Defender threat history and left click on them.

Chrome and Defender doesn't delete the file for me, so no clue why it does for others.

He even has link written underneath his posts for program that converts the original uTorrent.exe that is in your default AppData/ Roaming folder, you can try that.

Alternatively you can just download small old make_laa.exe file from nulano.eu/dl/make_laa

You run the make_laa.exe program, then select No, then you see File Explorer window to manually locate the folder where is your uTorrent.exe and patch it.

Otherwise if you download already patched version, then just rename the 3.5.5_45798 into default uTorrent.exe and replace the original one in your AppData/ Roaming/ uTorrent folder.

I have 460 torrents running and no issues with latest uTorrent beta, so maybe the memory leak was fixed and not needed to use Laa version.

17 hours ago, R2_D2 said:

How can I backup my current torrents to your LAA version and restore my torrent data?  Can you help point me in the right direction?

Open Start Menu, right click on uTorrent, select to Open Location of it, then you see a uTorrent shortcut, right click again to select Open Location and then you see the default location of all your current uTorrent resume, settings and torrent files. Don't delete anything and if you want to copy that folder for backup, then exit your uTorrent beforehand. Only folder you don't need there is the Updates folder where older versions are stored.

If you have modified 2mb sized uTorrent.exe, not the installation file, then you just copy it into the default program location and replace the original. I doubt anyone will modify default setup files to easily upgrade and automatically replace your current uTorrent.exe, so have to deal with these alternatives until official stable or beta client has the memory leak fixed that leads to Windows crash. Try latest beta if not willing to try alternatives, maybe doesn't crash your system.

7 hours ago, Pr1XseL said:

Download, run it, open Windows Defender, you see Current Threats, left click on it to look more options, select Allow on this device, then select Start the action. There is option to select allow, then won't be deleted next time you download or run. If something is put into quarantine then there's option to restore it, just look at the Defender threat history and left click on them.

Chrome and Defender doesn't delete the file for me, so no clue why it does for others.

He even has link written underneath his posts for program that converts the original uTorrent.exe that is in your default AppData/ Roaming folder, you can try that.

Alternatively you can just download small old make_laa.exe file from nulano.eu/dl/make_laa

You run the make_laa.exe program, then select No, then you see File Explorer window to manually locate the folder where is your uTorrent.exe and patch it.

Otherwise if you download already patched version, then just rename the 3.5.5_45798 into default uTorrent.exe and replace the original one in your AppData/ Roaming/ uTorrent folder.

I have 460 torrents running and no issues with latest uTorrent beta, so maybe the memory leak was fixed and not needed to use Laa version.

Open Start Menu, right click on uTorrent, select to Open Location of it, then you see a uTorrent shortcut, right click again to select Open Location and then you see the default location of all your current uTorrent resume, settings and torrent files. Don't delete anything and if you want to copy that folder for backup, then exit your uTorrent beforehand. Only folder you don't need there is the Updates folder where older versions are stored.

If you have modified 2mb sized uTorrent.exe, not the installation file, then you just copy it into the default program location and replace the original. I doubt anyone will modify default setup files to easily upgrade and automatically replace your current uTorrent.exe, so have to deal with these alternatives until official stable or beta client has the memory leak fixed that leads to Windows crash. Try latest beta if not willing to try alternatives, maybe doesn't crash your system.

Hi thanks so much for the info!

I never had a problem but I'm running a lot of torrents myself never had a problem before but I developed a problem where the App wound run for maybe 10-20mins and crash with unable to allocate memory messages.  I'm glad I found this thread I backed up my torrents in the Appdata/roaming folder just in case which is a few thousand to back up ;) .  Then performed the LAA patched update installer and updated to build 45798.  I'm happy to report uTorrent is up and running for over an hour no crashing or memory errors so far :) I will report back in a bit to see if it solved my problem.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:39 AM, rafi said:

Just wanted to report back your LAA version worked like a charm for me no more memory or app crashes since upgrading yesterday.  Thanks for you hard work and providing this to us :)

How does the auto update function for the LAA version?  Will you be releasing new versions as official versions update?  Will auto updates still push through and overwrite your LAA version in the future?  I'm opting not to allow it to update since after weeks of struggling to get it to work I finally have it working properly again.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:56 PM, R2_D2 said:

Just wanted to report back your LAA version worked like a charm for me no more memory or app crashes since upgrading yesterday.  Thanks for you hard work and providing this to us :)

How does the auto update function for the LAA version?  Will you be releasing new versions as official versions update?  Will auto updates still push through and overwrite your LAA version in the future?  I'm opting not to allow it to update since after weeks of struggling to get it to work I finally have it working properly again.

Yes, auto update will override it. I'll try to update the  link(s) in my sig, but likely/moslty  for stable "small" versions (that Mike is uploading to here). You can always find on the Internet LAA insertion utility and make your own from those many betas are being released ...

BTW, what size of cache are you setting in uTorrent (if any)? Per my recommended settings (that do not crash...) <=196MB is good enough...

Edited by rafi

On 10/29/2020 at 12:31 AM, rafi said:

Yes, auto update will override it. I'll try to update the  link(s) in my sig, but likely/moslty  for stable "small" versions (that Mike is uploading to here). You can always find on the Internet LAA insertion utility and make your own from those many betas are being released ...

BTW, what size of cache are you setting in uTorrent (if any)? Per my recommended settings (that do not crash...) <=196MB is good enough...

I turned off auto update for now in the hopes its not broken in the next stable release.  Good to know about the LAA utility thanks for the info.  I'm running the cache at automatic but when I did have problems I experimented with it and set to 1800 and back to auto made no difference in my memory problem.  Seems to work fine in automatic cache but I could try your suggestion at <=196MB my system current has 24GB of Ram what will the setting improve for me at 196mb?

At 24G + LAA - it does not matter much .This is my recommended settings (as also in my linked settings.dat file) , since there is no point using a large cache IMHO, when eventually your HD performance and connection speed determines the download speed. For seeding - yes , it can help avoid some HD access activities.