3.5.x Beta

TylerW

My experience is different. Still using 48582 because I can't use betas on a fair number of sites I use 3.5 for.    I only get disassociation when a torrent is 1) stopped, and 2) the program crashes, whether from the GDI crash or some other reason.   The last time this happened, I had 8 disassociations of torrents of torrents that were stopped with labels I actively manage.  4 fixed themselves on the next proper shutdown and restart, and the other 4 fixed themselves on the second proper shutdown and restart. 

*that said, I have 1300 other torrents mostly stopped from a site that is likely not coming back, and some of those were disassociated at the time the 8 I noticed but the stopped ones, definitely some have come back, I'm guessing not more than 15-20 still are from a scan of the first 200 or so.  There were a lot more after the last crash. 

Edited by icebox

2 hours ago, icebox said:

My experience is different. Still using 48582 because I can't use betas on a fair number of sites I use 3.5 for.    I only get disassociation when a torrent is 1) stopped, and 2) the program crashes, whether from the GDI crash or some other reason.   The last time this happened, I had 8 disassociations of torrents of torrents that were stopped with labels I actively manage.  4 fixed themselves on the next proper shutdown and restart, and the other 4 fixed themselves on the second proper shutdown and restart. 

*that said, I have 1300 other torrents mostly stopped from a site that is likely not coming back, and some of those were disassociated at the time the 8 I noticed but the stopped ones, definitely some have come back, I'm guessing not more than 15-20 still are from a scan of the first 200 or so.  There were a lot more after the last crash. 

Regardless of how many torrents you have... how many torrents are you SEEDING?  // What is stopping you from using betas?  I only had one version that refused to run..  and that was build 48538  //  by the way.. I am not sure, but it seems like the torrents that become disassociated begin  with letters at the end of the alphabet OR begin with a "["     // There is more to this than a simple fix.. some issues are:  why does it happen in the first place? what causes it?;  what can be done to prevent it?;   how can the disassociated torrents be fixed? ; which builds are "friendly"?.   Fixing the problem torrents is a complicated task in itself. 

Ok, I just went from ~8100 torrents to ~8200 and now instead of crashing every hour, it crashes every 10 minutes. And uTorrent support is completely ignoring my messages.

Why did I ever think that buying a pro version was a good idea?

Edited by Bacc

8 hours ago, Bacc said:

Ok, I just went from ~8100 torrents to ~8200 and now instead of crashing every hour, it crashes every 10 minutes. And uTorrent support is completely ignoring my messages.

Why did I ever think that buying a pro version was a good idea?

A "classic" use-case to try with my LAA mod with...

Edited by rafi

22 minutes ago, rafi said:

A "classic" use-case to try with my LAA mod with...

I've been using LAA for the last half a year or so.

Without LAA it was crashing every 10 minutes at ~4000 torrents. With LAA it became solid. It was crashing once a day or even less frequently.

When I got to ~6000 torrents, with LAA it was crashing every 2-3 hours. At ~7000 it was crashing every 1 hour or so.

Now with ~8200 it crashes every 10 minutes even with LAA.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

I also noticed that it does not matter how many torrents are active right now. I stopped *all* the torrents. And it's still crashing every 10 minutes.

Edited by Bacc

I've gone back to 45852.

I was having issues with 45912. Every time I started it, I was warned of an older version. I couldn't load magnets. Loading a torrent resulted in a warning that another version of uTorrent was already running.

OK... I'm not running rafi's versions or tweaks - I'm trying the 'vanilla' out-of-the-box version. It's what Beta-testers do!

36 minutes ago, Bacc said:

I've been using LAA for the last half a year or so.

Without LAA it was crashing every 10 minutes at ~4000 torrents. With LAA it became solid. It was crashing once a day or even less frequently.

When I got to ~6000 torrents, with LAA it was crashing every 2-3 hours. At ~7000 it was crashing every 1 hour or so.

Now with ~8200 it crashes every 10 minutes even with LAA.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

I also noticed that it does not matter how many torrents are active right now. I stopped *all* the torrents. And it's still crashing every 10 minutes.

Which Windows version? X86 or X64?

1 hour ago, rafi said:

Which Windows version? X86 or X64?

If someone is still running x86.. then screw them.

ALTHOUGH.. There is some very poorly written software out there that CHECKS to see what version of Windows is running, and if it is NOT x86, then the software will not run!  The people who wrote that ancient software never considered that in the future x64 would exist, so even thought any previous software can run on X64.. the software BLOCKS it. // Also.. small software companies are extremely cheap.. and an x64 compiler costs a lot more than an x86 compiler.  So they compile it on an x86 compiler.  The performance of x64 over x86 isn't that significant anyway. 

9 minutes ago, ex58 said:

uTorrent 3.5.5 Build 45952 stable

http://download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/utorrent/os/windows/track/stable

File size: 4,54 MiB (4.763.088 bytes) / MD5: c7c8f54708d4867bd0e1fd8d0af1a73b
Digitally Signed: BitTorrent Inc. 11 March 2021

So this'll be the 'full' version with all the added, and unwanted stuff.
I wan to test and prove improved versions. Not fight through the rubbish. Please post links to 'clean' beta versions.

4 hours ago, gjm said:

I wan to test and prove improved versions. Not fight through the rubbish. Please post links to 'clean' beta versions.

I've uploaded the lean&mean LAA mod for that 45952 build to the hosts @my-Sig ...

Edited by rafi

6 hours ago, gjm said:

just open it with 7-zip and extract the file "carrier.exe" and rename it to "utorrent.exe" and you're good to go.

just check if it is the right version, the official link almost always gets an old version,you have to try several (maybe dozens of) times.

10 hours ago, ex58 said:

Holy crap, why this all is so hard.

The link above only downloads the old stable version for me, 45852. Based on previous experience, I know it will probably change in the future, perhaps in a day or two. But right now, it gets the old version. And apparently there's no direct link to the new version.

In-product update checker won't find a new version either and keeps saying that I'm up to date.

I have mad respects to rafi and all the work he's trying to help folks out there. But he only posts already modified binaries with LAA flag enabled, so I cannot verify the digital signature of the file.

So, guess I'm going to use a hex editor now to change rafi's file to LAA disabled and see if the signature becomes valid.

Yes, it worked. Once I flipped byte 00000166 from 23 (LAA) to 03 (non-LAA), the signature is valid. And yes, I flip it back before actually running the app because obviously who would want to run non-LAA. But I won't run it until I check the signature.

Edited by Bacc
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bacc said:

I have mad respects to rafi and all the work he's trying to help folks out there. But he only posts already modified binaries with LAA flag enabled, so I cannot verify the digital signature of the file.

Have some trust in the "system"...  

Edited by rafi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, rafi said:

Have some trust in the "system"...  

11 hours ago, Bacc said:

There is a way to fix the digital signature, but that is not necessary. 

Ideally, Utorrent will eventually have the LAA flag enabled.  I don't think X86 processors are even manufactured anymore.. so unless someone is buying a 40 year old computer from Aunt Fannie's garage sale that is covered with spider webs and rat droppings..  nobody should be running a computer that doesn't have the 64 bit version of Windows on it.

19 hours ago, Bacc said:

The link above only downloads the old stable version for me, 45852.

Yeah, that's pretty typical on the days right after a new release, you need to try multiple times before you get the truely latest guy.   It took me a bit but I did get 45952 on the 5th or 6th click.   Madness... ;)

On 3/9/2021 at 6:52 AM, rafi said:

Most likely - ads/offers  related ... Best way to avoid such bugs - is to disable ads altogether... if you don't know how - use my settings example (in my sig)..

Yes, I am using Your config now, and also the latest stable update (with LAA-flag)... but today I got the Ad/Offers bug again...

Edit: I also used a custom HOSTS file, which was supposed to remove the ads in uTorrent, but I have now reverted to my old HOSTS file. and also to my own config file, which makes uTorrent more usable, and faster than Yours... I will see now if I get any Ads/Offers popup...

Edited by ecsjjgg

9 hours ago, joshace said:

There is a way to fix the digital signature, but that is not necessary. 

I honestly disagree, but that's not the point of this thread.

10 hours ago, joshace said:

Ideally, Utorrent will eventually have the LAA flag enabled.

No, LAA is not the ultimate solution. Even with LAA, a 32-bit process is limited to 4 GB of memory. Which is clearly not always sufficient. (Though without LAA, it's only 2 GB which is simply catastrophic.)

The right thing to do in 21st century is to build and release a native 64-bit version of the app.

However, this is not the point of this thread either, hence I posted in the “Feature request” section. (Even though I strongly feel like the app is abandoned, and we won't see any major development in the future, apart from some clumsy monetization bolt-ons.)

1 hour ago, Bacc said:

I honestly disagree, but that's not the point of this thread.

No, LAA is not the ultimate solution. Even with LAA, a 32-bit process is limited to 4 GB of memory. Which is clearly not always sufficient. (Though without LAA, it's only 2 GB which is simply catastrophic.)

The right thing to do in 21st century is to build and release a native 64-bit version of the app.

However, this is not the point of this thread either, hence I posted in the “Feature request” section. (Even though I strongly feel like the app is abandoned, and we won't see any major development in the future, apart from some clumsy monetization bolt-ons.)

Do you agree, that the only thing necessary to make this a "native 64-bit version" is to take the same code, and compile it with a 64 bit compiler instead of an ancient 32 bit compiler?  

4 minutes ago, joshace said:

Do you agree, that the only thing necessary to make this a "native 64-bit version" is to take the same code, and compile it with a 64 bit compiler instead of an ancient 32 bit compiler?  

Yes and no. In theory, it might be simple. Especially given that uTorrent did have a native 64-bit version already. They just discontinued it for some reason which I never understood.

In practice, there may be additional steps needed to port the old code to 64-bit platform. My point is not that it's effortless, but it will pay off very soon due to the efficiency of memory allocation. Multiple errors around memory allocation will simply go away. Either because of the robustness of 64-bit platform itself, or because during the porting process, these errors will be highlighted and hence it would be easier to fix them.

Shipping only 32-bit apps in the modern world is simply not sustainable, unless it's a very simple app which does practically nothing. (Which is definitely not the case of uTorrent since it handles large volumes of data by design and hence needs to be very efficient.)

I have been following this thread for a very very long time.

I have seen the number of complaints and problems raised with v4.xxxx over the months/years.

The latest niggles about having an x86 or x64 version; the LAA thingy, memory limits, yada yada yada.

Whilst all these things are important for the purists, let's get back to basics...

Regardless of whether you have the latest whizz-bang PC or a much older machine, your RAM is hugely faster than just about anything else in your box of tricks.

The main bottleneck for uT is your internet speed and disk-thrashing if you are short of disk space.

Just about everything else pales into insignificance.

I'm still using uT v3.55 build 45263 (with Ads removed). Yes, it's ancient, but it does what I need.

I often download complete discographies, multiple movies and whole TV series of several hundred Gigs at a time.

It uses almost all of my 80Mb/s download capacity leaving just enough for me to surf unhindered and runs for weeks on end.

I have never lost a torrent or associations and it has never crashed on me; not once.

Unless you own one of the internet backbones, I find it utterly ridiculous that some people have thousands of torrents running.

You only have a certain amount of dowload capacity. The more segments you chop that into, the slower each one is and takes longer.

I have found there's very little to be gained (if any) by having loads of torrents running rather than a few dozen or so at a time.

Just my 2cents worth.

also, let's stay on topic. This thread is about beta versions. Announcing new betas, their features and download issues is spot on. Discussing issues that happen in those versions is also okay, even though we might should have moved it into separate threads with that. But saying that nobody needs betas and an old version is all you need is definitely not on topic here.

I'm not saying that point is invalid. In fact, I am strongly considering finding an old x64 version and trying it myself. (Because there were 64-bit builds of uTorrent—and I think they would handle large number of torrents much better.) But so far, I am reluctant to take this road because I do not want to run unsupported three-years-old code which has God knows how many issues in it. (Including, potentially, security bugs.) And also, I don't trust 3rd party download websites.

But, again, this is not on topic here, so let's not discuss that in this thread. I would be very happy to hear everyone's perspective on this topic in my 64-bit feature request thread because that would help bump it.