3.5.x Beta

TylerW

3 hours ago, darkred said:

It was definitely changed.

Previously, when opening the installer via 7-zip, there were various files, among which there was always a Carrier.exe (~2 MB) with which I always replaced my installed uTorrent.exe .

In the 46148 version there's essentially only a GenericSetup.exe (10 MB), which apparently incorporates all relevant separate files of previous versions, and which cannot be further opened via 7-zip.

I attach screenshots of e.g. builds 46090 vs 46148 opened inside 7-zip :

2022-01-21_004633.jpg

2022-01-21_004708.jpg

where/how did you get the 46148 installer?  I tried the official link like 50 times and always got build 46096...

edit: never mind, I got it elsewhere and I confirm your findings. plus, the file "genericsetup.exe" is dated nov/2021, signed on 15/nov.

Edited by jvidal

Ok, I found that YOU CAN use 7zip to get at the small installer inside the large installer.  Here's how:

Get large installer from bt site [5MB size exe] and open it  with 7z.  Right-click on "GenericSetup.exe" and choose "Open Inside #", you should see that there is a "2.uTorrent.exe" component [might not be 2].  [If that doesn't seem to work, back up and try again, "open in parser mode" might balk on first try].  Now  Right-Click that and choose "copy to" to extract just it to a dir of your choice.  That's the small installer, the old carrier.exe.  Now just rename it and overwrite your prev utorrent.exe like you did with carrier.exe in the past.  Thanks 7zip!!!

Good Luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

another method that works, as stated by SergeyQA, it to simply double click the large installer to launch it.  Then CANCEL it at first prompt, and confirm cancel.  Then look in C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Temp\  for a folder with the name "GenericSetup.exe_xxxxxxx".  Inside that you'll find the carrier.exe all unpacked for you.

to the best of my knowledge this does not touch your exisiting install at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

uTorrent 3.5.5 Build 46200

Download:
Stable Download *multiple tries may be required*
http://download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/utorrent/os/windows/track/stable

or

http://download-new.utorrent.com/uuid/9420e92c-ab03-47b8-b94c-20f39a3ab681

File size: 4,93 MiB (5.170.760 bytes) / MD5: 022d5ae6c56eae61aac0e44bb680bc5e
Digitally Signed: BitTorrent Inc. 02 February 2022

• Like 3

46200 forces TronTV back on and may cause visual and other issues, especially if you have the trontv site blocked [lower details pane missing, lags if you toggle Show Trending Videos, etc].  Fix is to ignore these issues upon first startup, do a shift-F2-Preferences-Advanced and set offers.trontv_enabled back to false, then exit and restart.  Visual faults should disappear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to try 46206.

Downloaded, ran installer. "A new version is already installed." OK  forget it, not got time to play at the moment.

Ever since, opening uTorrent tells me a newer version is already running (!  It isn't) and clicking on a Magnet link does the same (when uTorrent is running) and invites me to "Shut down uTorrent and try again."

uTorrent itself says I am running 46026.

I suspect the only option is to uninstall, clean the registry, and start over.

4 hours ago, gjm said:

Been trying to try 46206.

Downloaded, ran installer. "A new version is already installed." OK  forget it, not got time to play at the moment.

Ever since, opening uTorrent tells me a newer version is already running (!  It isn't) and clicking on a Magnet link does the same (when uTorrent is running) and invites me to "Shut down uTorrent and try again."

uTorrent itself says I am running 46026.

I suspect the only option is to uninstall, clean the registry, and start over.

In AppData/Roaming/uTorrent replace existing uTorrent.exe with this one (rename as previous) and run install again.

Edited by ex58

I'm getting some interesting errors as a result of the changes I made. Or tried to make.

I have a Quick Start icon for uTorrent that I use - I don't start automatically at Windows startup.

Clicking on it now also produces a warning message - "A newer version of uTorrent, 3.5.5 build 46026 is already installed. Would you like to downgrade to 3.5.5 build 46196?"

IIRC, my most recent (previous) build was higher than 46196 !

9 hours ago, gjm said:

IIRC, my most recent (previous) build was higher than 46196 !

Exit uT and try opening/editing  settings.dat with BEncode. Search for webui.version and  install_revision  keys, and change both values to your installed build# (such as  46206). Save and re-run.

Edited by rafi
  • Like 1

I've used an online BEncode editor - https://chocobo1.github.io/bencode_online/ .

I quickly found the install_revision key - this was correctly set.

I do not have a webui.version key in the settings.dat.

It's the first time I have gone through the settings.dat file. There's a *lot* of 'interesting' stuff in there.

Edited by gjm

I had some instability on my system, and it rebooted 2 times in quick succession, on the second one, utorrent decided to update itself (to 45206), which is very very odd as I didn't have auto updates checked.  When it launched, none of the previous settings were remembered, so ads were back, and the columns I want to see weren't all there.  Anyway, I got rid of the ads and added back the columns, but my question is this: "Added on" and "Completed on" no longer have dates, instead having the generic "2 days ago" "a month ago" which is useless for me.  Is there a setting that can be changed to force these columns to show actual dates?  I don't recall if ages ago I changed a setting for this or not. 

6 minutes ago, icebox said:

I had some instability on my system, and it rebooted 2 times in quick succession, on the second one, utorrent decided to update itself (to 45206), which is very very odd as I didn't have auto updates checked.  When it launched, none of the previous settings were remembered, so ads were back, and the columns I want to see weren't all there.  Anyway, I got rid of the ads and added back the columns, but my question is this: "Added on" and "Completed on" no longer have dates, instead having the generic "2 days ago" "a month ago" which is useless for me.  Is there a setting that can be changed to force these columns to show actual dates?  I don't recall if ages ago I changed a setting for this or not. 

Advanced->gui.use_fuzzy_dates = false

You better search for your old settings.dat file and try and restore it...

Edited by rafi

I looked in that directory and settings.dat and settings.dat.old are both for after I started changing settings.  I'd have to get it from a backup but not sure that's necessary at this point. 

And, thanks for the setting!

Edited by icebox
forgot something

• 3 weeks later...

is there any setting that can be changed to speed the time utorrent 3.5.5 takes to restart torrents at restart? I've got 2500 torrents running in my installation and it takes signficantly longer to restart than ancient 2.2.1 does running 2604 torrents.    I timed it and in 2 minutes it started 4 torrents, which is ridiculous. 

On 3/17/2022 at 9:14 PM, icebox said:

is there any setting that can be changed to speed the time utorrent 3.5.5 takes to restart torrents at restart? I've got 2500 torrents running in my installation and it takes signficantly longer to restart than ancient 2.2.1 does running 2604 torrents.    I timed it and in 2 minutes it started 4 torrents, which is ridiculous. 

If a check of (any of) the torrents you have is required, that's actually pretty quick.