3.5.x Beta

TylerW

1 hour ago, rafi said:

Multi Select where exactly? "Open" how?

I think missing "Alt" menu-shortcuts is a bug... But has started before this build...

Download a .torrent file from your favourite torrent search engine. Download a few more.
Find them in Windows Explorer. Select all the .torrent files. (They are usual 10k - 20kb in size.) Press enter to open them all at the same time.

You can do the same thing with multiple .jpg files - they will all open in the native application at once.

I've not had an issue with the 'Alt-' menu shortcuts before. In fact, I have rarely had a significant problem of any sort.

re: 46298

this one still hangs on EXIT for me.   Main process does cpu work for about 10 secs after exit cmd given and then seems to stop doing anything [in taskmngr]; first child has exited at that point too [it exited within 2 secs].   I wait and wait, minutes.  If I then manually kill second child then the parent process will exit too in about 6 more seconds.  Otherwise both remain without accum'ing any cpu time for many minutes. 

reverting to 46248 again...

Thanks for listening....

17 hours ago, javacatpaul said:

re: 46298

If I then manually kill second child then the parent process will exit too in about 6 more seconds.  Otherwise both remain without accum'ing any cpu time for many minutes. 

reverting to 46248 again...

What "child" processes are you seeing? You can also use uT, while blocking any child processes when starting it...

Edited by rafi

Something very odd going on. Now running 46298.

Having got a couple of torrents downloading, they completed. I selected both torrents, right-click and select 'Remove torrent'. The dialog box appears  -"Are you sure you want to remove the 2 selected torrens?"

Click OK, and... Nothing. The dialog box is still there. A few more attempts and it eventually clears.

Trying to close uTorrent also causes problems. No Alt-menu this time, just a mouse click on File and Exit. Do I wish to exit? Yes. Nothing. 7 or 8 more clicks and finally uTorrent closes.

There's no issue with any other application. I'll see if a complete removal and clean reinstallation helps.

Using stable build 46248, after a crash, 70 recently downloaded torrents had to be hashed.  They were numbered in the queue, but the last 50 or so proceded to choosse the numbered torrents in this order:

1, 29, 3, 4, 1, 4, 5, 6, 23, 6, 7, 1, 1, 19, 9, 1, 5, 1, 18, 1, 24, 4, 4, 12, 17, 12, 12, 4, 4, 4, 9, 4, 1, 12,14, 1, 14, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1.

what is this list of numbers if it's ignored when choosing what to hash?  the first twenty were similar, with choices all over the list. 

After getting thoroughly fed up with all sorts of GUI issues, I *completely* gutted the entire install, all settings, everything.

Then ran the install version of 46298. No fancy tweaks or anything - let the ads go through.

And... It works. Gathered 21 torrents, loaded them simultaneously into uTorrent, and It. Just. Works.

I'm not a 'power user' or similar so this is good enough for me.

8 hours ago, javacatpaul said:

FWIW  46304 exhibits same behaviour as previous, will not exit properly, one child process will not exit and parent hangs as a result.  Sticking with 34248.

I've not seen that issue for a looong time. Not going to tell you how to run software (you've probably got more experience of that than I have) but have you tried a new, clean install?

On 6/11/2022 at 1:21 AM, rafi said:

What "child" processes are you seeing? You can also use uT, while blocking any child processes when starting it...

I was referring to utorrentie.exe, from the updates folder.  It creates two children of that name, and as I understand it these are the guys that pop up ads.  Since I have all ads supressed via my settings.dat file I have never given them much thought.    In the past you could stop the children from loading by replacing that exe with a null file of the same name, but that doesn't work anymore, parent utorrent.exe simply recreates the exe file on launch now.  Is there another trick I should know about?

Anyway, I'm happy that 248 still works just fine for me, double checked again today and 304 still hangs all the time, even with an empty jobs list, one of the utorrentie.exe processes never closes...

I have not bothered trying with a completely clean reinstall, I don't want to have to go thru all those settings changes again.  Wish there was a way to do a txt dump of settings.dat so you could see all your settings, and even do a winmerge compare.  I can take a pic snapshot of "bencode editor.exe" screens, but that's a bit cumbersome.  I'd like "bencode editor.exe" to do a txt file dump, but it is no longer being developed and its source code is not available.  bencode libs are out there, maybe I could try writing a dump util but I'm not critically motivated to do that at this time...interesting project for a rainy day.  Anbody know if "bencode editor.exe" developer wants to release his code to git hub?

carry on...

Edited by javacatpaul

I've got the same problem as @javacatpaul and @gjm

When you close 46304 it disappears, but never dies. You can find it in task manager and runs forever. If you manually kill task it will do a recheck of ever torrent that has changed.

I was really worried I couldn't fix this, but downloaded 3.5.5.46148 from utorrent.en.uptodown.com and installed that and it went back to working normally. (I don't know how to get the 248 build mentioned.

I've seen this problem before, but it was a long time ago. After it went away I never expected it to show up again.

I should mention that I originally upgraded to 46304 when uTorrent poped up a message saying I could upgrade. I said yes and then another message showed up saying it needed to close uTorrent. I again clicked on it and it closed uTorrent and after about 5-10 minutes, when nothing had happened, I clicked on start uTorrent and it started normally. I only noticed the problem when I tried to close it.

Hope someone finds out why uTorrent does for some upgrades for some users.

Oh, when I was running 304 and would kill uTorrent, but didn't realize it was still running, and then clicked on start uTorrent, a popup would appear saying... I don't remember. It might have said that an older version of uTorrent was already running. Don't know why it thought a different version was running when it should have been the same.

Download page says (Stable 3.5.5 Build 45952) but downloads build 46304
Changelog gets updated a couple of times a year.. that's nice, you guys really do an outstanding job, think I'll go post over in the appreciation forum, you deserve it all the praise I can muster, which is none.

Edited by Ryrynz

7 hours ago, rafi said:

It does work, if you make sure to replace with a 0 size file and mark it as read-only.

SOB!  [me, not you Rafi ;) ] I did exactly that TWICE yesterday and it simply remade the ...ie.exe and launched it anyway.  But you said no, so I tried again today and viola IT WORKED!  What the hell...I must be losing it.  The only diff is I left the dir completely empty other than the zero-length file, moving the renamed-backup-original to another place.  Yes, I had/did set the R attrib; interestingly it says attribs are RAI, never even knew there was an I...

hum...I'll try with 304 now.

----

Ok, launched 304, exited and it hangs as before, killed hung child and replaced ...\updates\...\...ie.exe with null.  Launch and It worked just as above, no children now.  Asked it to exit and it did after about 5 seconds.  So, "working" again.  I'll leave it and see how 304 goes from here.

Thanks again Rafi...

Edited by javacatpaul

Just one more thing...yesterday I _think_ I may have opened the zero-length file with notepad, after having made the new txt file and before renaming it to...ie.exe;  I'll bet notepad added the BOM to the front of the file, so It wasn't truely zero-length.  Today I made sure not to open it at all.  That's the ticket...

• 2 weeks later...

Build 46346 - came to the computer to find uTorrent had updated. Looking through preferences I see it is configured to 'Automatically install updates' and 'Update to beta versions' is also checked. However, both are greyed out.

I have never chosen to automatically install any updates. How do I clear this?

3 hours ago, SergeyQA said:

46346 is beta version - updates are enabled by default and not designed to be disabled.

But

You can manage update settings in the stable version.

I don't recall this having happened before - I've been running beta versions for several years, and always manually performed updates.
The first I knew of this was when the web browser screen told me I had been updated. 
Can you advise when the auto updates were enabled in code?