3.5.x Beta

TylerW

• 2 weeks later...

Previously, I said:  I also noticed that it did not seem to be necessary to zero-out the utorrentie.exe child helper - it exited cleanly without hanging this time...

It appears that's because it no longer launches the child processes, at least not at program launch like it did before.   AND,  it also no longer "likes" the zero-byte file in the "Updates" folder, instead always replacing it upon launch with a new fresh copy.   But as I said it doesn't seem to actually launch the child process.   Ok...

46514 seems ok upon initial examination, thanks...

Edited by javacatpaul
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

is it possible to get rid of the webview crap? it keeps running inthe BG and using valuable system resources EVEN while ut is not runing. If I uninstall it, it comes back again. I don't want that crap on my PC. I already have edge installed, why doesn't ut make use of it, instead of installing the webview junk????

Edited by jvidal

1 hour ago, jvidal said:

is it possible to get rid of the webview crap? it keeps running inthe BG and using valuable system resources EVEN while ut is not runing. If I uninstall it, it comes back again. I don't want that crap on my PC. I already have edge installed, why doesn't ut make use of it, instead of installing the webview junk????

Yes, search and rename "msedgewebview2.exe" to "_msedgewebview2.exe" ...

• Like 1

That's interesting, I do not see msedgewebview2.exe running anywhere, regardless of uT running or not; I have W7 tho.  I do not have full Edge installed.  Is it possible it's running in BG on you because you have Edge itself running in background [the default]?  There are a couple of Edge settings where you can tell it NOT to leave stuff running in the BG after close, and to NOT pre-load things upon system startup.  Maybe if those are set to "No" it'll stop?  Edge hanging around in the background has been a complaint from the beginning...

Also, it's certainly possible that another app is also using the system's  webview component, that's why it's there after all...

I have not found the WebView change to be a burden at all, even the update-checker tasks run real quickly without any bother.   It has updated just once in the past 3-4 weeks, never noticed it happening actually.    Good Luck...

Edited by javacatpaul

No, i'm perfectly aware of edge's settings, it's the first thing I disable. I only noticed webview and a couple other related processes running after I started the latest version of utorrent. closed utorrent, uninstalled webview and started utorrent again, the webview junk got installed again by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what's weird though, as I never noticed until it was brought up here about the msedgewebview thing.
If I changed the exe to just have an Underscore at the beginning, sure it doesn't run, but I think the system is still trying to run it?

What i mean is, my cursor is constantly "busy" (cursor + hourglass) only when uTorrent is running (so assuming it's associated to the webview). Quitting uTorrent instantly rectifies this constant "busyness"

For now I'm just allowing for it to run in the background since it's not hindering my performance or anything.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:15 AM, Hyosung said:

You know what's weird though, as I never noticed until it was brought up here about the msedgewebview thing.
If I changed the exe to just have an Underscore at the beginning, sure it doesn't run, but I think the system is still trying to run it?

What i mean is, my cursor is constantly "busy" (cursor + hourglass) only when uTorrent is running (so assuming it's associated to the webview). Quitting uTorrent instantly rectifies this constant "busyness"

For now I'm just allowing for it to run in the background since it's not hindering my performance or anything.

I don't see any such behavior here . You can try also with using my settings file (@my sig), which blocks all ads. Maybe this helps to make sure not to need that webview helper-app...

Edited by rafi

On 9/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, SergeyQA said:

We do not install Edge itself, only WebView components are installed. They are replacing IE frame component used for years and deprecated by MS. WebView is used to display web related content.

I have Windows 10 21H2 LTSC with Edge. Could you tell me will uTorrent install WebView 2 Runtime on my PC?

re 3.6.0.46560  BETA

I played with this, it works "fine" for me, but here's some notes if you care:

If you want to do the old-fashioned manual upgrade, open above LARGE installer with 7Zip and you'll see 4 files plus 4 folders.  Extract just the 4 files and copy all into your ut appdata folder as usual; the 3 dlls are new and are required along with the [typical] utorrent.exe.  [Of course, BACK UP your previous .exe and .dat's before trying this!]  Then just launch and it'll self-update as usual.

I did NOT try running the "Large Installer", but I assume it does basically the same thing; someone brave can try it ;)

FYI the 3 new dlls are:  datachannel.dll, libcrypto-3.dll, libssl-3.dll.  Forget to copy all 3 and utorrent.exe will fail with an error message upon launch.

Seems like some encryption changes have been made...

Note the major version number has advanced, to 3.6.  We've been on 3.5.5 for years.  I suspect there will be a flurry of updates as the new version is wrung out, so you may want to stand back and watch for a while. But it worked ok for me on a couple of new jobs which downloaded and then seeded properly.  I do NOT have a large job list at this time so I can't test that...

On my W7, there are no child processes launched, although the utorretie.exe child file is created in the \updates folder as usual [but note it's 30% smaller than prev version was].  This is the same as it's been for a month or 2, ever since the new EdgeWebView was introduced.  I see no additional processes running with this version,
and no suprise additions to the appdata folder [no new helpers or anything].

F1 downloads the same help file but names it "360" now, as expected for a beta install.

Prefs and Shift-F2-Prefs works as before. I did not notice any new prefs, new menu items, or new settings, but I didn't look very closely.

Memory/WorkingSet size seems about the same; again I don't have a huge jobs list.

It exits smartly still, as before.  And nothing funky shows up in the event logs, good.

It seems pretty "snappy" [quick], but that's very anecdotal, just a good day I suspect...

Thanks and Good Luck To All...