3.5.x Beta

TylerW

Checking... checking.. checking..

Checking has always been slooooow.. but now it is FROZEN

I am on version 355  46536 

I have NO activities running, yet the Status shows a torrent checking at 36.3% and has been at 36.3% for over 2 hours.  

I wish there were a way to cancel a check in progress, or better yet, speed them up!

re:  doing the old-fashioned "manual install" we have advocated for years...

It seems with 4.6.0 we SHOULD NOT be doing manual installs anymore.  There are just too many things that have to be done now to ensure a proper setup:  EdgeWebView, 3 companion DLLs, and who-knows-what new parameters that need to be added [or removed] from the settings.dat [and other .dat] files and the registry.

Like other normal Windows programs, UT has become rather dependent on its stand-alone-installer to get things just right and our "habit" of doing it manually is [perhaps] shooting us in the foot.

DEVS care to chime in?

7 hours ago, BDFan said:

FWIW It took several attempts of receiving 46578 before it did bring down 46588...I  didn't try it yet.  Yesterday 46578 crapped out with a couple of actual crashes with crash dumps [never seen that before in many years of using uT] and it became erratic so I rolled it back to a saved settings.dat and recovered, but I think 3.6.0 is not ready for prime time yet...I'll play more as time permits...

On 11/15/2022 at 9:25 AM, javacatpaul said:

DEVS care to chime in?

I have used Utorrent for decades, and I am not aware of the DEVs chiming in about anything.. ever.  

The only advice I trust is from Rafi, and even then, only after he's had a chance to test it himself.  I think he got a nasty surprise with a recent version, and he cautioned us about it. 

The problem I mentioned recently about CHECKING is a real problem.  It's not only slow, it is sometimes non-functional - and the checks NEVER finish.  In those circumstances, I would prefer to abort the check, and download the entire torrent from scratch.  

3.6 is adding a new feature - support for  WebRTC  , like https://github.com/webtorrent/webtorrent  or https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/223 .

Eventually, it'd be a good thing/route to increase the # of peers, plus optionally, be able run directly from a browser.

Naturally, it will just need more time to stabilize.. :)

Edited by rafi

Rafi,

I noticed that 3.6.0 added a "new" entry in the Trackers list that was a
wss:\\bittorrent.com  [or something close to that]  for EVERY SINGLE torrent that gets added.   It is not in the .torrent file's trackers list.  Is it related to the new WebRTC "thing" you mentioned?

I had never seen a wss: type of entry before.  If I try to delete it [like I would any other tracker] then it just comes back, and perhaps it's what caused uT to crash on me [I'm guessing you shd not delete it!].

Just curious...

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 2:33 AM, rafi said:

Slow is one thing (also depends on your resources, cpu, hd-ssd), not functional - I don't think so. I think that now it just stops if there are other active downloads...

Yes, but it now sometimes freezes when there are no downloads going on.

I notice there is a "skip hash check" when first downloading the torrents (which puzzles me, because before the download begins, there is nothing to check!)  

Then I read something that confirmed what I thought - that it's not a good idea to skip a hash check after a reboot, because utorrent has no idea if a torrrent has been correctly written to the hard drive or not.  I think I found a solution!

1. Allow hash checks to be skipped on INCOMPLETE downloads.

2. Once everything is downloaded, REQUIRE a hash check (perhaps during the "Flushing To Disk" function).

3. Once a torrent has completed and been flushed to disk, it is then marked "COMPLETED" and then hash check skipping should be allowed on that torrent.

So, I think that BEFORE a torrent has been fully downloaded, and AFTER it has been flushed to disk AND checked, it should be able to skip a hash check and save a LOT of time.  

--- Another alternative would be to just allow hash checking to be skipped AFTER it has been marked "COMPLETE" and still require the hash check for downloads in progress.