Looking for Technical Guidence for Iterative Torrent

dcal31

This has probably been asked before but search doesn't bring up anything, so if someone could point me towards the revelent thread, I would much appreciate it.

Short summary: I'm in the process of creating a torrent of old technical manuals that are now public domain but still contain useful information. As I find revelent material, I plan to add files to it. I know it is not possible to add files to an existing torrent, so I would have to create a new torrent for each iteration as I add new files.

My question is: how would I sent it up so that was long as the new torrent was directed to the same folder, it will  check the existing files (which will be identical) and only download the new files?

Is that something I can do as part of the creation of the torrent, something the that needs to be set up on the download end, something already an automatic part of the process, or something that's not currently possible?

The way to make this work is to have the directory structure NOT change AT ALL between versions of the torrent.

Only add files or remove files, don't rename or mode.

However, given your target content, you're probably better off using Amazon S3 for storage and use their system to make single-file torrents instead.

Okay, I'll have to test it out before I do all the files to make sure I have the process correct, but it sounds like the basic premise is solid then. As long as the existing file structure remains unchanged, only the new files/folders will be downloaded.

The Amazon suggestion seems like overkill for my needs. A small group of us are using these manuals as a technical reference library. I'm hoping to use the torrent to keep everyone updated as new material is submitted and added to the library. By checking the version number of the torrent, anyone in the group could quickly see if they have the most current version.

By running it as an iterative torrent, they would not have to search for new files, simply download the latest version of the torrent to have the most current version of the library. And by spreading the file downloads among all the group members, it will save bandwidth for the guy currently gracious enough to host all of the files for free.

More thinking out and documenting the process for anyone that might be looking at this in the future, but please let me know if you see anything I've overlooked in the process.

Archived