The majority of video downloads will not connect even though status is green on status bar far right. Download status stays permanently on CONNECTING TO PEERS.  Stopping and starting the torrent is ineffective.  Only a minority will download. The ones that do download can take multiple hours to complete. Since I starting using this application all downloading from all websites are sporadic and unreliable as well as slow.For example a 1 gig file took about 6-8 hrs. Audio samples available on utorrent website were downloaded sucessfully but I don't use that website for  downloads.

Have cable modem. No router. High speed broadband internet. Have Norton for antivrus. I also use a peer to peer blocker. It doesnt seem to matter whether its on or off.  Steps taken.

Set up procedure completed. Yellow check mark shows for network. Auto port mapping enabled.  Results: Port is not open (you are still able to download).........maybe once in a while. Is that a problem?

Settings:options/preferences/connection/

Enabled- UPnP port mapping, NAT-PMP port mapping, Add Windows Firewall Acception

Disabled-Randomize port each start. No proxy server used. Use Cableone ISP.

Speed test completed during set up.

Settings:options/preferences/bandwidth- Correct upload max  manually set, Download rate 0 unlimited.

Settings:options/preferences/BitTorrent- Everything enabled accept Limit local peer bandwidth and Enable altruistic mode. Protocol Encryption is enabled. Allow incoming legacy connections enabled.

What is the problem?

From  instruction manual

LATEST UPDATE.  test indicating port is closed. WHY IS PORT CLOSED? I have ruled out Norton. I have ruled out windows firewall. I dont use a router. I use a modem. I cannot connect to anything. I have everything checked in preferences.

In the second part, a port is randomly selected for you the first time the Setup Guide is displayed, though you are free to change the port used. Alternatively, setting the port to 0 indicates to µTorrent that you would like for it to select a random port after the changes are confirmed. After you select your port, left-click "Run tests" to check that the port is open. It is essential that a port is open for µTorrent to listen for incoming connections on. If you are having trouble opening a port, continue reading onto the port forwarding guide. (could that be the issue?)

Why does it show that you can still download even though the port is closed??? Continuing to the port forwarding guide.

Basically this section says that even if your computer is in a firewalled state that doesn't necessary mean you won't be able to download and could also effect the download speed.  As stated before windows firewall acception is enabled. Could it be Norton?

After that manual indicates instructions if you have a router which I don't. 

Just a modem. Do I ignore that part? Extremely frustrated. :wub:

Why is this not editing????

I will start over again, UPDATE.

test indicating port not open. I cannot open connection to anything. I have ruled out Norton and Windows firewall. Why is port not open? I dont have router. I have a modem.  Ports are enabled in preferences/connections.

Whereas before I was at least getting a green. I am now getting a yellow stating problem with network configuration. I've been there done that now what?

I did have a tech support session with Norton and they did uninstall it and it did not resolve the issue. I don't know what else could be causing port to be closed. I ran the test when Norton was uninstalled. Tried to download the files. Same thing.

I did have a tech support session with Norton and they did uninstall it and it did not resolve the issue. I don't know what else could be causing port to be closed. I ran the test when Norton was uninstalled. Tried to download the files. Same thing.

17 minutes ago, vincex said:

Really they uninstalled it did you verify with the Norton removal tool that all traces where gone? I suspect they said it but didn't do it. Get the Norton removal tool and run it and remove all traces of Norton and then reboot and start utorrent again and go do the link on my signature and download the slackware and report what happens. I never had to do a port forward to get utorrent to work for me on my Netgear and that was more then just unit from older to newer - never had to do portforward.

Archived