download starts while the file selection window is still active

lakawak

I have seen a few posts regarding something similar but never one that mentions everything I have noticed, or any that really seem to have been resolved. I just "upgraded" to Windows 10 from a Windows 7 computer and I've noticed that selecting individual files before a download starts does not work. IT still shows everything with Priority: Normal. I can then go and select them and choose don't download, but this is not convenient or how it is intended to be.

I just noticed a possible cause of this. When I open a torrent file, the file selection window does come up as normal. But I have noticed that the download has already started, so the file selection windows doesn't matter. This would also be a problem even if it DID work the way it did because if there is a really long list of files, sometimes it can take me several minutes to go through the entire list to pick out all the files I want. And in that time, it would be downloading everything.

I notice there is a delay before the auto-starting one begins. When I click on the torrent file (set to open automatically in Chrome) the file selection box will come up. And then about 3-4 seconds later, the torrent will automatically appear and start downloading with the file selection still going on. So it is as if it is opening the .torrent file twice, once automatically without downloading, and then  semi-automatically (downloading it, then opening it) a few seconds later. Only the second time, it doesn't give me the option to select files.

I had an older version running, so I figured I should try the new version, but no matter what versions I have tried, ranging all the way back to 1.8.5 to the newest, plus 3 or 4 in between all did the same. This never happened on my old computer(s). 

Am I missing a setting that I had set long ago on the old computer? I can't believe that could be the case since if I had some setting telling it to just download everything as soon as I open the torrent, it wouldn't even bother bringing up the file selection box.

It may be a Chrome issue, but it worked before so it is something I am not setting properly and not a permanent Chrome thing. On my old computer, I used Chrome and everything worked fine. It would not put the torrent file in the default download directory (I had it open torrent files automatically) but rather in the directory I st up to hold torrents. And it would not start up the torrent until I selected the files. But now with the move (from Windows 7 to 10), I can't only get one of the other to work. I figured out a way to prevent the torrent from starting before I select, but now, it puts the torrent file both in the main download directory and in the directory where it stores torrents. And even though I have the box checked to delete loaded torrents, it doesn't delete it. (From either directory.)

Archived