Can't get a green light. PLEASE HELP!!

islamlife

I am very new to all this and not too tech saavy when it comes to pc's so please keep it in simple terms so I can follow. I can't get a port to open. I have created a static IP and went into router settings step by step as explained by portforwading.com . Didn't help. I have a Motorola WR850G wirelss router and a Motorola Surf Board modem (model SB5101) . Any suggestions?

I wanted to add that I updated the firmware to v6.1.4 and re-configured my router (port forwarding) and still NOTHING!! One thing I noticed is that when I go to "run" type "command" then type "ipconfig/all" , it shows "Dhcp enabled" as "NO" would this have any bearing on my problem? I am using Mozilla Firefox and Windows XP and Norton Antivirus 2006 in case anyone knows of any security settings that may be the culprit.Thanks!

I am getting rediculously slow download speeds like .02 kB/s - 40 kB/s

Who is your ISP? It is possible they are blocking the port you are using, or maybe you still have SOME firewall blocking it.

Road Runner is my ISP. I went to some websites that scan for open ports and they didn't come up with ANY? What other firewall could there be?

Well, if it's something running on your computer, do this:

Hit control alt delete. Click the Processes tab. Hit Alt + PrintScreen. Open up your paint program of choice. Hit control V. Save as jpeg. Post the image here in the forums. That way we can go through the list of processes you have running to see if you have some other firewall running.

SL83: tasklist is probably a better way to do it

I totally forgot about that command.

Would be a lot easier :)

Start >Run> cmd /k tasklist>C:\tasklist2.txt

Then go to your C drive and grab the text file, and paste the contents here. :)

Thanks Firon.

SL83: NSCSRVCE provides the Norton Protection Center system tray icon, I don't think it necessarily means Norton Internet Security is running. Islamlife mentioned he is running Norton AntiVirus 2006, which comes bundled with both Norton SystemWorks and NIS, so that could be why NSCSRVCE is running. His task list does not show NAVAPSVC so he must have disabled Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect. If he installed NAV along with NSW (but not NIS) that alone would not prevent him from getting a green network connection light. However, NIS would (if he actually is running it) if he did not disable the "Stealth blocked ports" option.

Hmm. Well, if he's directly connected to the modem, and he's still unable to get the green light and the port checker fails, the only 2 things I could think of would be his ISP blocking it, or some other firewall blocking it. He does seem to have Norton Systemworks, I see Norton Speed Disk there.

NIS on the otherhand is unknown at this time.

islamlife: what doesn't work when you connect directly to your modem? Do you get an Internet connection? If yes but your ports are still blocked then I would suspect your ISP is doing that. If no then do whatever you have to do to get an Internet connection, after which µTorrent should be able to get good network connection. I looked at your modem's documentation on the Motorola web site, there is no mention of firewall capability so the modem itself should not be blocking any of your computer's ports.

Archived