utorrent1.6 forces me to seed all the torrents. Why?

junglemike

I have total upload of 12kBytes/sec. I limit it to 8 for utorrent. Now I have many finished torrents , that i want to share back with the group (mvgroup) that i downloaded from. There's probably 20-30 finished torrents, and around 3-4 still downloading.

Since i have such small upload speed (all internet here is asynchroneous) - there is no sence to share 8K upload amoung 40+ torrents. I set in settings "number of active torrents: 7" , "number of active downloads: 4".

And yet it still seeds all of them (resulting speed is less than 0.5kB/s)

If I choose all the seeds, press stop, than press play button again - they first appear "queued seeded", and in a matter of a munute they all come back to "seeding" status.

How can i fix it?

I tried setting 1 - and it didn't have any affect. Than I simply restarted torrent. And it helped. Should have tried that before.

But I think 1 torrent is too low. The stuff i download have very small swarms and very small speed (3-4k per torrent)

Thanks anyway.

µTorrent will allow all kinds of settings, many of them aren't practical.

That's totally different than forcing you to do anything.

There's a special setting in advanced settings (or elsewhere now?) that controls whether seeding torrents get priority over downloading ones.

I think 1 downloading torrent and up to 2 total torrents might work best.

But upload slots should be no higher than 3.

Also make sure your half-open connection limit is the default value of 8 -- even lowering it to 4 wouldn't hurt.

If you don't really need them, disable DHT and UPnP.

ammm, when a torrent gets less than 1kB/s (not sure if it's 1kB/s), it will skip to the next queued keeping the other alive, so if every torrent gets less than 1kB/s all of them will be open and seeding, now u are getting 0.5kB/s on all the seeding torrents since u have opened too many of them for so little upload of yours, u should better open a max of 3 active torrents and 2 active downloads to get better results if u want to finish ur downloads fast (which seems u want to), if u are in not such a hurry to finish the downlaods then 1 active download and 3 active torrents should be the best

Nefarious , You were right. The problem still persists. I thought it got OK after restart, but i looked 5min later, and it was seeding all 30 torrents.

It's a big problem. The only way to stop them from being seeded is pressing "stop" button, which is not the best choice.

if u want to finish ur downloads fast (which seems u want to), if u are in not such a hurry to finish the downlaods then 1 active download and 3 active torrents should be the best

I don't want to finish fast, but i don't want to download at 3kbytes/s either. Stuff i download - is not top popular torrents from famous torrent portal. It's MVGroup's stuff (national geographic, bbc, science and nature stuff) - so there is very low availability (1.5-2) and If i just enable single torrent - speed is around 3-4k. My network capacity is (750/96 kbits/sec).

So is there any workaround for my situation? for downloading at reasonable speeds (say, 20-30 would be fine),and also sharing back to the group?

The setting you want is in advanced: queue.dont_count_slow_ul, set it to false. When this is set to true, uT will start another torrent off if the ul rate drops too low, because you're working in small swarms, this might happen fairly regularly, and if you end up with too many started, and they will ALL have a slow upload rate.

Set your torrents to either 2 down & 1 up or even just 1 down and 1 up and limit your upload slots to 2 or 3.

Mark

Archived