Suddenly my downloads started slowing down to 1kb/s

TrulyVisceral

Let me start off by saying I'm not the most tech savvy person around. I didn't really configure utorrent that much, just made all uploads cap at around 10kb/s, and that's it, I don't even know what the hell half of the options mean. Also, doubt it's my internet connection, downloads through the browser and just general loading of pages is just fine, the same speed it's always been (most downloads cap at ~50kb/s)

Also, this is my first post here so... please do tell if something I did was wrong.

So, I don't really know why this happened. Yesterday, I was downloading an anime series and decided to do it season by season. The first 3 were fine, my download speed isn't really fast, sometimes it maxes at 170kb/s but the fastest I've had it is at 340kb/s. Then, that night, as I'm playing something while waiting for the fourth season to finish, I notice the speed quickly decreasing, then maintaining itself between 1-7kb/s, sometimes even stopping altogether. So, I'm asking, do I need to configure something or it's just that the world hates me? I really wanna finish that series. The torrent has 53 seeds and 250 leeches.

I should probably mention that, when I restart utorrent, the download starts off with ~150kb/s, and then quickly plummets to ~5kb/s. Also, in the picture, notice that my download of Eminem is at 77.8%, that download also slowed down (I stopped it because I wanted the other to finish first) that one has 196 seeds and 70 leeches.

Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 7:07 AM, DreadWingKnight said:

What is the listed availability on the torrents?

What setup guide did you follow to configure uTorrent?

Sorry, sort of vanished for a bit. Check pic.

Also, I didn't follow anything. Didn't setup anything. Just installed utorrent and started downloading whatever. Has been working without faults for, what, 2 years?

I should probably uninstall and reinstall while following some guide right? Which one though?

Untitled.png

On 7/4/2017 at 2:17 PM, TrulyVisceral said:

Sorry, sort of vanished for a bit. Check pic.

Also, I didn't follow anything. Didn't setup anything. Just installed utorrent and started downloading whatever. Has been working without faults for, what, 2 years?

I should probably uninstall and reinstall while following some guide right? Which one though?

Odd thing here is your ISP finally has caught up and throttle your internet after 2 years of watching your activity is what I am surmising. Doing a simple Slackware download without other torrents running and posting that screen shot would give a better idea what is going on with your internet. Not doing so only tells me your ISP is cracking down on torrent usage and throttle your internet when it detects it-and don't tell me your ISP told you they don't do that - that is a full face lie it's in their bottom to do so to avoid litigation.

10 hours ago, PiusX said:

Things about ISP

To show just how little I know about these things... I understood NOTHING of what you just said (OK, well, I know ISP is my service provider, CanTV specifically). Also, tried googling what slackware meant... still not a clue.

Regardless, I just decided to try the setup guide option and set my upload speed to about 346kb\s (or at least, that's the one it keeps auto setting to) because I did a speed test and it gave me 0.45mb\s upload speed. And according to many a guide I found, I should set that to as close to my laptop's limit as possible. My download speed suddenly went back up, although only to about ~89kb\s). HOWEVER, if I just close the lid and let it overnight, it seems my speed skyrockets to ~400kb\s. Dunno what's happening, don't care (not yet anyways, I'll come back to this later, please forgive my unbelievable levels of n00b-nes).

On 7/6/2017 at 8:28 PM, TrulyVisceral said:

To show just how little I know about these things... I understood NOTHING of what you just said (OK, well, I know ISP is my service provider, CanTV specifically). Also, tried googling what slackware meant... still not a clue.

Regardless, I just decided to try the setup guide option and set my upload speed to about 346kb\s (or at least, that's the one it keeps auto setting to) because I did a speed test and it gave me 0.45mb\s upload speed. And according to many a guide I found, I should set that to as close to my laptop's limit as possible. My download speed suddenly went back up, although only to about ~89kb\s). HOWEVER, if I just close the lid and let it overnight, it seems my speed skyrockets to ~400kb\s. Dunno what's happening, don't care (not yet anyways, I'll come back to this later, please forgive my unbelievable levels of n00b-nes).

Did you look on my signature and read what I wrote on there? It would help if users see and read what I wrote in my signature that would help them help us in return.

Archived