Question about VPN with UTorrent Web

cam9

Hi guys. 

Sorry if this has been covered before or is a silly question, but I wanted to be sure of it before I proceeded to torrent anything and I couldn't find coverage of it anywhere.  I've been using UTorrent with Private Internet Access for a couple of years now and I love it.  I got a new computer and went to install UTorrent and saw the new UTorrent Web version of the software.  I could be wrong, but I looked at the settings in browser and it seems that there are no controls pertaining to VPN support.  So, is there any extra step beyond masking my IP address with my VPN that I need to do in order to torrent safely?  In the previous version of UTorrent I had it took a few extra steps to coordinate the client with the VPN. (http://lifehacker.com/how-to-completely-anonymize-your-bittorrent-traffic-wit-5863380)

So, is any of that necessary here?  Or do I only need to ensure that my IP address in hidden by PIA in order to torrent safely?  For now I'm going to install the old client to be safe, but I'm open to trying the new one as long as it doesn't put me at risk.  Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can clarify.

Hi cam9. Thanks for your question and your interest in µTorrent Web. There's currently no preference panel to configure a proxy server, so your decision to use the regular µTorrent client is the right one. The µTorrent Web app is still a very early stage product, and we're very interested in hearing feature requests and feedback in general from users. We may add VPN support in the future. Please stay tuned.

Archived