Reporting ratio stats to private trackers.

Alkazar

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I have checked the FAQ, searched the feature request list and the forum but found nothing about this topic. I hope this is the correct forum to post this.

I am currently using µTorrent 1.6 build 474.

I have found µTorrent to be totally accurate when reporting download/upload stats to the private trackers that I use. However, the problem I have encountered is this:

If the tracker goes offline or there is any problem connecting with the tracker for any length of time, the ratio stats do not appear to be stored so that they will be correctly updated to the tracker when µTorrent does eventually manage to successfully announce to the tracker.

It appears that all the download/upload stats that occured between the last successful tracker announce and the last unsuccessful tracker announce are lost. If this has been over a period of a few hours, then the ratio lost can be quite substantial.

Is there anything that can be done to overcome this problem or could it possibly be a bug?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The upload/download count is kept across the entire session, so as long as you don't stop the torrent, you shouldn't have any problems with the tracker going offline. Unless of course, the tracker itself is screwing up and ignoring your announces or something.

In any case, nothing we can do.

Thanks for your replies.

Firon, that is what I expected to happen but it didn't. I did keep the torrent running until the tracker came online again but all the upload/download count went missing. The tracker has never ignored my announces before or since and as I stated before, my µTorrent and tracker ratios are usually spot on.

This has also happened once with another private tracker which is what made me think that the upload/download count was not being kept across the entire session. Again, before and after the tracker connection problem, stats have been updating to the tracker accurately.

You say that the upload/download count is kept across the entire session but surely, it only reports to the tracker what has been transfered since the previous announce. If the next announce is unsuccessful, what happens to that portion of the ul/dl count?

It appears to me that if an announce is unsuccessful, that portion of the ul/dl count is being discarded.

This is how the BT spec works: You have a total upload and download count in that session. That's what gets reported. It doesn't report what was transferred across each announce, it just sends the total amount. It's the tracker's job to keep track of the changes between each announce.

Almost along the same line, I love the update, works great for me. The only thing I can't find anymore is the tracker announce intervals. Where you could set them to 500, 1000, 5000, 10000 ms. Seems to reset to 32 min, it that just a forced number now? What if your tracker demands more?

Um, the update intervals were for the refresh rate for the GUI. You could NEVER set the tracker announce interval.

The tracker specifies it, though the default fallback in case there is none is 30 minutes (not configurable, will never be). 20 if there's an error.

• 1 year later...

uTorrent 1.7.2 (build 3458)

uTorrent appears to have stopped reporting upload statistics. What happened, I was using uTorrent and it appeared to occasionally update the stats server as the amount of content didn't fully match what I had been downloading / uploading and got curious. I found this form thread which seemed to explain the issue though my previous client bitTorrnado never had any issues reporting correctly to the tracker. I checked the trackers FAQ which indicated that uTorrent appears to be supported. I then had an unfortunate event where I was forced to reinstall my OS. I had 100% completed torrents but I had not been able to upload enough to make my ratio's balance out. So upon getting my system back up and running I got uTorrent working away at uploading the multitude of content I had. I know the tracker "inferno.demonoid.com:xxxx/announce" has a 24 hour update policy so I would wait 24 hours and no change was reported, not even after 48 hours was there any change reported. My previous bittorrent client never failed to report and the tracker never failed to receive the report. So I watched it closely, I would issue "updates" to the tracker, no change I would stop the client and restart but no change after the allotted 24 hour time frame. The issue that I think is causing the trouble is that I now have a bunch of torrents that have never been "technically" downloaded from uTorrent's perspective and so the amount that I downloaded is Zero and for what ever reason doesn't want to update.

My Plans, I am going to continue my debugging tests with some packet captures of an "update" command and also a "pause" command and a "close app" command. To see what information is being passed for "updates" to the tracker. After capturing that data I will then stop uTorrent delete part of my content after removing the torrents from the list so as to force uTorrent to "download" a small portion of the lost content on each torrent. I then will observe over the next 48 to 72 hours what happens if updates begin to occur again as I can currently conclude that after 48 hours demonoid.com does not appear to have received any updates that it feels it should calculate into my overall ratio when I have never had issues with this in the past.

I will let know what I discover, thank you for great looking product that works very well. I am quite interested in the continued use of uTorrent, it has a great look and feel and a wonderful feature set, I have just lost a little confidence in the applications ability to report ratio statistics correctly and want to regain that confidence.

I know the tracker "inferno.demonoid.com:xxxx/announce" has a 24 hour update policy so I would wait 24 hours and no change was reported, not even after 48 hours was there any change reported. My previous bittorrent client never failed to report and the tracker never failed to receive the report.

Recently got the same problem with the same tracker. However the difference is that my "previous bittorrent client" which never failed to report was also µTorrent -- some earlier versions of it. So my first thought was this is some demonoid oddity.

My Plans, I am going to continue my debugging tests with some packet captures of an "update" command and also a "pause" command and a "close app" command. To see what information is being passed for "updates" to the tracker.

You can do the same even w/o "packet capturing", any http proxy with url logging ability will do (even Proxomitron) -- since statistics are passed to the tracker as plain http GET-request parameters.

As far as I can test -- session uploaded/downloaded statistic numbers ARE reported to tracker.

UL/DL ratios don't mean anything on Demonoid, since the policy isn't enforced (well, at least not unless you're the Leech From Hell).

But if you really care: Demonoid's tracker reports through UDP, so you can, uh, "massage" your ratio by blocking or unblocking HTML in PeerGuardian. (Unblock while UL>DL and block while DL>UL.)

...that trick won't work with passkey announce-URLs, btw.

Well I guess I've found the reason of this problem -

1) http://zabikten.arg-irc.net/ratiofaq/

Everything you ever needed to know about demonoid ratios

Reasons why a "event=stopped" message may not be received

* If Demonoid does not have your correct IP address. Without knowing your IP address, the tracker doesn't know which account to assign a "event=stopped" message to.

2) http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=25541

Demonoid's down due to hard drive troubles.

It could just "forget" my previous key-to-account assignment back then in June.

Archived