slow torrent speeds (even the OOo one)

Rargh

Hi people,

I've recently been getting very slow torrent download and upload speeds (never more than 4, sometimes 10kb/s), tried the speed guide, and even followed the special stickied guide in this forum but there wasn't any (or much) improvements, even though the health light is green.

I'm using utorrent 1.6, got a 8192/768 internet connection, uninstalled my firewall, and ran the tcpip optimizer but the OOo torrent download speed never exceeds 8-10kb/s (disabling kaspersky anti-virus doesn't help).

Got a router too, with ports properly forwarded.. I'm stuck on this one guys. Would anyone have a suggestion except changing ISPs?

Thanks

edit: oh yeah, I looked at the peer traffic window and noticed there was a lot of peer disconnections due to timeouts. might this help?

what connection type are you using ? check the speed guide

under options. i have 1Mb broadband (have followed the guide and tried the settings sujested). I decided to use xx/96k connection type this improved my averall speed i get around 50kB/s download and around 7kB/s upload now. i nolonger get the great fluctuations in speed download or upload when i first used uTorrent (i have never got more than 10Kb/s upload and not often at that speed on my connection, mostly get 7-8kB/s). using xx/128k just makes thing worse i get more fluctuation in speed. using xx/64k gives same download as xx/96 but upload is constant 5kB/s instead of 7kB/s.

NOTE: i share my connection with wifes computer through a router if i use higher setting my wife cannot connect to the net from her computer. higher settings offer no additional proformance (makes things worse if anything) so no point stopping wife from connecting and having her shout at me.

I contacted my ISP and it denies blocking any kind of transfert, so it's a good thing.

I used netstat (under windows xp) to see what ports were active, and I found a lot of ports being active whereas they should not since they're different from the utorrent listen port...Windows would be the culprit?

Active ports are likely outgoing connections your computer made. In that regard, your router is a 1-way firewall -- you can connect outwards, but nothing can connect inwards to you. It's sort of like you're firewalled because your telephone doesn't ring...and you cannot call anyone else who is firewalled because their telephone doesn't ring.

Archived