How I got the green light

herbiman

Like some other users, since upgrading to 1.6, I've had a permanent yellow connection icon, and I fail the port forwarding test, despite continuing to dl and ul torrents. I had come to the conclusion that this was a bug (because I WAS still getting files), but I no longer think this.

On my XP SP2 system using a router and port forwarding, I solved the problem simply by re-installing the EVID patch http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

and then doing a hard reboot (soft reboot didn't do it for me).

I'm pretty sure that one of the windows updates had reset my number of half-open connections back to 10 (from 50).

You can get a lot of info about what's going on by using the "netstat" DOS command. (Use "netstat/?" or google "help with netstat" for more info.)

Try "netstat -p tcp" and find the port uTorrent is listening on. Before EVID patch I had 6 processes attached to the port. Afterwards, about 40!

Finally, I'd come to the conclusion that the port forwarding test was itself buggy -- but now I don't think so. You won't go green until you pass that test!

For what it's worth, I have DHT enabled, UPnP mapping OFF, and net.maxhalf-open (under Advanced) set to 8. (Other values here seemed to make no difference, although I have read you can set this as high as 50 (after EvId).

Archived