Consistently crashes

Boringhandle

I have been using uTorrent successfully for aeons, but in the last week it constantly crashes after five or six hours. I'm on Windows 10 which hasn't updated in that time, and I use Bitdefender but again I've been using that for ages too and it hasn't caused any issues. It has all the correct settings in the Bitdefender firewall and the Windows firewall.

I've tried uninstalling, deleting all traces of uTorrent and then reinstalling. And I've tried rolling back to earlier versions of uTorrent. Keeps crashing in the same way.

I got the following two messages popping up at crash:

Windows ran out of memory. Unable to allocate 3530798 bytes. Please close some applications and press okay.

uTorrent has crashed. Unable to generate crash dump

On the crash dump issue, a .dmp file is generated, but it is blank and 0kb.

On the memory issue, I've monitored things with Windows Task Manager. I have 16GB of RAM. The highest memory usage for uTorrent is at 140MB. The overall total memory usage on the computer is 50%. I've tried closing all other programs and just running uTorrent. Still crashes. I cannot see how I am short of memory. I don't believe I am.

I've tried deleting several torrents from uTorrent to reduce strain. I've tried increasing the cache size in the settings. Still crashes.

I'm not having any issues with any other aspect of my computer or any other programs. Just uTorrent.

I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Two are listed in Device Manager:

Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Update:

It has crashed again, now with the message: "uTorrent has stopped working correctly. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

On 10/1/2017 at 4:48 PM, Boringhandle said:

I have been using uTorrent successfully for aeons, but in the last week it constantly crashes after five or six hours. I'm on Windows 10 which hasn't updated in that time, and I use Bitdefender but again I've been using that for ages too and it hasn't caused any issues. It has all the correct settings in the Bitdefender firewall and the Windows firewall.

To many firewalls will also cause problems as well. Uninstall bitdefender completely and use the Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and see what happens.

On 10/1/2017 at 5:29 PM, Boringhandle said:

Two are listed in Device Manager:

Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Update:

It has crashed again, now with the message: "uTorrent has stopped working correctly. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Is both of those drivers up to date? And is your system a acutal Windows 10 computer or did you upgrade to Windows 10? Also what version of utorrent are you using and what are you downloading that is causing the crash? Knowing what your downloading might give some clues to what is going on.

My system is actual Windows 10, not an upgrade. My drivers are all up to date. I am using the latest version of uTorrent but have also tried rolling back to earlier versions. And it's not an issue of too many firewalls. It's pretty common to add something like Bitdefender on top of the built in Windows products. As I say, the system has worked completely fine as it is for some considerable time.

I am downloading from a private tracker and I am downloading exactly the sort of files that I have been downloading, trouble-free, for ages.

On 10/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, Boringhandle said:

My system is actual Windows 10, not an upgrade. My drivers are all up to date. I am using the latest version of uTorrent but have also tried rolling back to earlier versions. And it's not an issue of too many firewalls. It's pretty common to add something like Bitdefender on top of the built in Windows products. As I say, the system has worked completely fine as it is for some considerable time.

That is the same line others use which will never get real help. It's not common to use multiple firewalls and A/V unless you want to have problem. And doing so has not work which has been debunked. Also know no one here knows how up to date your system is - as no one is sitting next to you to check either so that is why that is asked. Since you have bitdefender if they changed something in the software you will never know of which is most of the time they update and make changes and baam things that worked before stopped working. So it's not something common using to many firewalls and A/V compound the problem not help that is a Fact and proven time and time again-whether or not one will listen to logic.

On 10/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, Boringhandle said:

I am downloading from a private tracker and I am downloading exactly the sort of files that I have been downloading, trouble-free, for ages.

Since one isn't willing to show examples so help can be given no help will be given. No one here knows what is going on that side when asking for help but refusing to give specific so someone can see where the problem is will go no where fast here. Remember this is a user help forum and if you want help you have to provide help in return.

So you're saying that anyone who uses any other product on top of a Windows system is asking for trouble?

And what do you want to know of what I'm downloading? You want to see every torrent? If you ask a more specific question perhaps I can answer it.

I've come here looking for help, but your tone is very far from helpful. You could use your expertise to help people rather than implicitly criticise them for not knowing as much as you.

I've had the same problem and like you, only of recently.  I have been following this thread. I uninstalled my NIC drivers and all settings related and reloaded. Didn't help. But I noticed both you and I have Bitdefender. This morning, I turned off one feature in Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018. From the main screen, click View Features. I've temporarily turned off Advanced Threat Defense. Not as a solution, but in an attempt to find the source of the problem. I'm testing this configuration to see if it help.

2 hours ago, Cage22 said:

I've had the same problem and like you, only of recently.  I have been following this thread. I uninstalled my NIC drivers and all settings related and reloaded. Didn't help. But I noticed both you and I have Bitdefender. This morning, I turned off one feature in Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018. From the main screen, click View Features. I've temporarily turned off Advanced Threat Defense. Not as a solution, but in an attempt to find the source of the problem. I'm testing this configuration to see if it help.

Thanks for that. Let me know how that works out for you.

18 hours ago, Boringhandle said:

So you're saying that anyone who uses any other product on top of a Windows system is asking for trouble?

And what do you want to know of what I'm downloading? You want to see every torrent? If you ask a more specific question perhaps I can answer it.

I've come here looking for help, but your tone is very far from helpful. You could use your expertise to help people rather than implicitly criticise them for not knowing as much as you.

Saying people using to many Firewall and A/V is asking for problem from the start. Sample torrent and where from would tell what the site is torrenting would tell if they are working or fake torrents. The response when people use to many firewall and A/V has been proven time and time again each program will cause and block the other from work and then will finally block other software from working. It's plainly simple but when asked to use only one firewall and one A/V to see what happens people don't listen to try one method to see where the problem is coming from but complain. So if one doesn't try something different then diagnosing the problem then nothing will help.

2 hours ago, Cage22 said:

I left uTorrent running overnight and I was surprised this morning that it was still running. I'll see if it's still running (without restarting the computer or the program) this evening when I get home from work.

That makes no sense what your talking about.

29 minutes ago, PiusX said:

That makes no sense what your talking about.

Maybe this will clarify, I turned off one feature in Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018. From the main screen, click View Features. I've temporarily turned off Advanced Threat Defense. With that one change made, I've left uTorrent running overnight and I was surprised this morning that it was still running. Prior to making that change, uTorrent had always crashed/quit sometime throughout the night. So, while I'm not done testing, it appears that the 2018 Bitdefender "Advanced Threat Defense" may be causing issues with uTorrent.

Regarding multiple firewalls and multiple AV engines running concurrently:

My two cents and 30+ years experience would agree that running multiple firewalls can cause problems. I would suggest turning off one at a time and see if the problem persists. Also, in most cases, I'd agree that running multiple AV programs will even more likely cause problems. One exception I know of is, running a AV program of choice along with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is designed to run along with other AV programs. But, for example, running Bitdefender and say, Symantec, would be asking for problems. Not implying there's an issue with either BD or Symantec, but they should definitely not be run together.

Regardless, hopefully by turning off one program or feature and then testing, we can find the true culprit and then, maybe finding a solution. Doesn't matter if you like to run multiple AV programs or multiple firewalls, I would suggest turning them off, one at a time, just to see if the problem goes away. It's a sound method to finding the problem.

18 hours ago, PiusX said:

Saying people using to many Firewall and A/V is asking for problem from the start. Sample torrent and where from would tell what the site is torrenting would tell if they are working or fake torrents. The response when people use to many firewall and A/V has been proven time and time again each program will cause and block the other from work and then will finally block other software from working. It's plainly simple but when asked to use only one firewall and one A/V to see what happens people don't listen to try one method to see where the problem is coming from but complain. So if one doesn't try something different then diagnosing the problem then nothing will help.

Bitdefender disables Windows Firewall - or are you saying on a Windows system you simply cannot use Bitdefender at all without trouble? And I can assure you the torrents aren't fake torrents - and they're ones I've been using successfully for years. It's not an issue with the torrents themselves - I can assure you in that regard.

I've done the following and uTorrent no longer crashes/quits (so far at least). Prior to making this change, uTorrent would never run through the night without crashing/quitting.

Solution for me:

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018. From the main screen, click View Features > click the gear symbol for the "Advanced Threat Defense."

Click on "Add applications to the whitelist"

Using the box that pops up, navigate to:

C:\Users\xyzAppData\Roaming\uTorrent directory (where xyz is your profile name) and click OK.

I had also added uTorrent to the Bitdefender and Malwarebytes "Antivirus" section whitelist. I've removed these as I don't think they were related to the resolve. If I have a problem from this point forward, I'll notify in this forum and try re-adding uTorrent back to those specific exclusion sections of the AV programs. At this point however, I think the problem was all caused by BDs Advanced Threat Defense.

Archived