Error: Data error (Cyclic redundancy check)

Selians

Heya!

After succesfully finishing a rather large download (42,2GB), I attempted the installation of the downloaded software. After a while the installation sadly caused itself as well as Windows Explorer to become unresponsive, causing me to forcefully restart my computer. During my second attempt to install the files the installer however came up with an error stating that it was unable to read one of the files, after which I decided to check the files in uTorrent. After a few minutes of checking the files, uTorrent came up with the following error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I'm wondering if the error is something to look into or even contact the laptop's manufacturer about, as I've seen a few older forum posts (2007-2009 mostly) referencing to broken HDD's. Furthermore I'd like to know if it's possible for me to recover/redownload the corrupted/missing files, as downloading the entire torrent would take me quite a while. (I'm afraid I have to deal with a 7Mb/s connection).

So far all I've tried is checking the disc via Windows (Drive>Properties>Tools>Error Checking).

I'm grateful for anyone offering his/her time and support. Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Selians

On 17-10-2017 at 11:09 PM, DreadWingKnight said:

10 years later and that error message still means that the hard drive is failing.

Move the files to another drive, then point uTorrent at the new location and force a re-check.

Some additional scans from the manufacturer (HGST) as well as Seagate seemed to agree with you. Thanks DreadWing! 

Status update: Backed up my important files and installed a new HDD in the laptop. All seems to be working fine as of yet!

Archived