evildeadguy2015

Utorrent starting up on its own

Recommended Posts

Only other option is if you do a clean W10 install and update it and then install utorrent back and run it and change the preferences and then see if the problem doesn't return. What version of utorrent are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, evildeadguy2015 said:

so hopefully it fixed it

If it didn't. you could try using some sort of Start Up (Run) utility.

The free versions of CCleaner & Glary Utilities both have one.

They both list start up entries and you have options to disable and/or remove entries.

You shouldn't really have to resort to using a utility though.

CCleaner: http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup536.exe

Glary Utilites: http://download.glarysoft.com/gu5setup.exe

Edited by mike20021969

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PiusX said:

Only other option is if you do a clean W10 install and update it and then install utorrent back and run it and change the preferences and then see if the problem doesn't return. What version of utorrent are you using?

I'm using the most up to date version of utorrent 3.5 build 44090

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, evildeadguy2015 said:

I'm using the most up to date version of utorrent 3.5 build 44090

Pretty close. 3.5.0.44178 is a stable release... not that it is guaranteed to fix your issue though,

Edited by mike20021969

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So - I deinstalled and downloaded the latest version. Reinstalled and same phenomenon. Worse though - it took me about 5 attempts to try and deinstall uTorrent! 
I'm on Win 10 OS Build 16299.19 (Current Branch for Business) - which should be a stable release. The issues started after the update to this build - so that experience is similar as well - although it might be coincidental. Just like @evildeadguy2015 I used utorrent 3.5 build 44090.

The oddest part is that I'd never had uTorrent setup to start with Windows, ever! 

Scanned computer multiple times for malware and virus. No hits. Still, not feeling very comfortable.

I've now opted to deinstall and wait for newer version of uTorrent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎31 at 4:48 PM, PiusX said:

Only other option is if you do a clean W10 install and update it and then install utorrent back and run it and change the preferences and then see if the problem doesn't return. What version of utorrent are you using?

3,5 build 44090 32bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem. Tried all the options that is listed above (reinstall, update to newer version, etc) but uTorrent is still auto start when I restart/turn on my computer. Also check the startup programs in Task manager, registry, but couldn’t find anything related to uTorrent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2017 at 1:14 AM, mike20021969 said:

Pretty close. 3.5.0.44178 is a stable release... not that it is guaranteed to fix your issue though,

So i Updated to 3.5.0.44178 and so far utorrent hasn't started again with windows i will test it out a few days and report back if anything new happens Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quick test method:

1) start utorrent
(leave it running)

2) shut down windows (shutdown, not restart - important for this test)

3) wait a minute

4) start windows


if it's not listed in startup AND it starts again with windows then you are most likely using Windows 10 1709+ edition

the auto-restart of apps that were open when you shut down the pc is a new "feature" in Windows 10 1709 fall creators update that's a bit buggy at the moment and the "off" switch doesn't quite work for this feature.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/26/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16251-pc-build-15235-mobile/

please vote here to disable it: https://aka.ms/Bb4aim
(feedback hub link)


how to avoid it: make sure you close manually all apps before you shut down windows.

 

Edited by Rassilon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rassilon said:

quick test method:

1) start utorrent
(leave it running)

2) shut down windows (shutdown, not restart - important for this test)

3) wait a minute

4) start windows


if it's not listed in startup AND it starts again with windows then you are most likely using Windows 10 1709+ edition

the auto-restart of apps that were open when you shut down the pc is a new "feature" in Windows 10 1709 fall creators update that's a bit buggy at the moment and the "off" switch doesn't quite work for this feature.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/26/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16251-pc-build-15235-mobile/

please vote here to disable it: https://aka.ms/Bb4aim
(feedback hub link)


how to avoid it: make sure you close manually all apps before you shut down windows.

 

Thanks for the info. i kinda  figured it had something to do with Windows 10 1709 update that i did.... it was only utorrent that was starting up with windows

but so far i seem to have fixed it by clean installing utorrent to 3.5.0.44178 so we shell see if it stays that way... Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have UTorrent Build 44294 and W 10 1709.

I have uninstalled my old version of uTorrent, including the removal of all files from registry using Revo and reinstalled a fresh version (44294)

I have unchecked all the boxes as advised above.

I have closed UTorrent via task manager before shutting down.

uTorrent still opens on startup. It is really driving me crazy. I have used uTorrent for many years and never had this problem before. I have spent hours this morning trying to solve the problem without success.

Can anyone suggest any solutions? 

Thanks

Edited by Mobidark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

You may need to close the application (uTorrent/BitTorrent) BEFORE restarting or shutting your computer down. This is the new behavior of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/programs-autostart-after-boot-in-windows-10/09dd8d3e-7b36-45d1-9181-6587dd5d53ab?page=2&auth=1

 

microsoft.png

 

-Synx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2017 at 12:53 AM, nulland said:

I suspect that when you shut down or restart Windows, you do not close or shut down utorrent app.  When you hit the "X" button at the right top corner of the utorrent  window,  you are not actually closing the application.  Clicking on the "X" button merely hides utorrent; it is still active and is running as a background process.  So to prevent utorrent from starting when Windows starts, close utorrent by hitting menu item "File -- Exit".   You may also right click on the utorrent icon in the notification area and press on menu item "Exit".  In short, shut down utorrent before shutting down or restarting Windows.  I know that this is odd for a Windows application, but you have to explicitly shut down utorrent before shutting down or restarting Windows.

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is caused with the latest Win 10 update that automatically restarts all processes that are running at shutdown. Solution is start up, close uTorrent application as per normal then go to Task Manager (Ctl-Alt-Del) then select processes Tab.  Look for uTorrent and then 'end task'.  This completely closes uTorrent background processes.  Then do a full shutdown.  On next start-up you will be fine.  Another example of a windows update changing things without giving you control :(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2017 at 10:53 AM, nulland said:

I suspect that when you shut down or restart Windows, you do not close or shut down utorrent app.  When you hit the "X" button at the right top corner of the utorrent  window,  you are not actually closing the application.  Clicking on the "X" button merely hides utorrent; it is still active and is running as a background process.  So to prevent utorrent from starting when Windows starts, close utorrent by hitting menu item "File -- Exit".   You may also right click on the utorrent icon in the notification area and press on menu item "Exit".  In short, shut down utorrent before shutting down or restarting Windows.  I know that this is odd for a Windows application, but you have to explicitly shut down utorrent before shutting down or restarting Windows.   I do not know if this is a bug in the latest release,  but utorrent does not show up in any of the startup keys in windows registry or as an item in the startup tab of Task Manager.

Thank you so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solution: If you click on the chevron in the bottom right corner to "Show hidden icons" you will see the green circle for utorrent. Right click on it and then click on "Exit" that will close utorrent and it won't start up the next time you start your computer.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been having exactly the same problem as everyone else here and I've done everything suggested without success. Then I decided to check the hidden icons in the taskbar and saw two instances of the Utorrent icon. I clicked "exit" on both and shut down my pc. On start up, Utorrent DID NOT open!! Don't know if this is a permanent fix but it's the first time it hasn't automatically started since the problem started. I will continue to make certain it's properly closed everywhere after every use as suggested by MS Support on Synx's post. Hope this helps!

Using Utorrent 3.5.1 build 44332 on Windows 10

Edited by MsMousse
added more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open Notepad.exe

Paste this:

@echo on
taskkill.exe /F /IM uTorrent.exe
shutdown -s -f -t 1

File > Save As...

Save as type:

All Files (*.*)

File name:

shutdown.bat

Save.

All the time when you want to shut down your computer press double click on this file, it will kill uTorrent.exe process and then shut down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having similar issue but not quite. I actually want utorrent to start at startup but open just in the system tray. Since the Fall Creators update even when you have that setting selected in Utorrent it still just opens maximised everytime. I have plenty of other programs set to do this and they all work as they should but Utorrent refuses to start minimized to the system tray. It did this on my previous computer when the creators update came out and i've just built a brand new computer so everything is freshly installed and still having the same issue. Any ideas why the Windows update has screwed Utorrent and how to fix this issue?

Edited by wagnumpi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem.

Just follow the step "file --> Exit" and next time you start your computer it won't start. But when you use utorrent again and dont close it this way, it will start again.

annoying bug, but its there,,

Hope this helps

Edited by Dooddier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Nulland.

Ending utorrent by File-> Exit ( instead off clicking the cross) was the trick that worked for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Victord66 who said

"Had the same problem.  Solution is to go to UI Settings -  uncheck "Close button closes uT to tray".  Worked for me."

This worked for me, and is easier than remembering the File...exit trick.

Click on Options, then Preferences

image.png.f2997c06529688af66f86dd8873ed84b.png

 

image.png

Edited by Notace
Extra image removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now