uTorrent Is Being Detected As A Virus

pepanee

18 hours ago, pepanee said:

Hi, so a few days ago, Windows Defender says that uTorrent was a virus on the computer. So I try to download it again from the website, and that installation is also detected as a virus. Why is this happening? And how do I fix it?

What version of Windows are you using? I have utorrent and don't get those warnings. Also what version of utorrent are you using? I doubt it's Defender saying that are you sure you didn't install another A/V and mistaken it for Defender.

I am unable to send it to VirusTotal because Windows Defender won't let me keep the file on the computer. So I uploaded a picture of what happens over here. I put red boxes around the file that I downloaded and Windows Defender message. 

I tried putting in the download URL at VirusTotal, yet only 1 site detected it as a virus.

uTorrent.png

Looking at the URL on the screenshot, you're downloading the current stable.

What you need to do is go into the Windows Defender Antivirus settings. Somewhere in there you should be able to create an exception, possibly on some sort of white list, for uTorrent.exe. Once done, uTorrent should download just fine.

The uTorrent installer contains offers (nothing new there) which could be seen as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) by some AntiVirus software. So simply disconnect your internet connection before running the installer. Re-connect once installation is done.

Archived