Amber "!" Warning triangle - permanently

ChrisBedford

Hey everyone

I've been using uTorrent for some years and getting used to some of its 'quirks' but this one I haven't figured out yet. It's not a problem, just something I don't understand because the program works well (given the limitations of my slow broadband).

At bottom right, I have the warning that if you hover your cursor over, says "No Incoming connections. Unless the icon turns green, it could indicate a problem with your network configuration". I've never seen it any other colour, but I'm downloading and seeding fine - e.g. see attachment.

It is something I'm doing wrong? Is it a bug, or something that happens behind a firewall, for example? (My network has a pfSense gateway. I previously use ClearOS with the same result)

Chris

ScreenShot2269.jpg.5ce17219b2e3c2dc09ffa0854255111b.jpg

50 minutes ago, ChrisBedford said:

At bottom right, I have the warning that if you hover your cursor over, says "No Incoming connections. Unless the icon turns green, it could indicate a problem with your network configuration". I've never seen it any other colour, but I'm downloading and seeding fine

I also find this happens from time to time, but the icon does also go to a green circle with a tick in it when the download starts.

Incidentally, what version of uTorrent are you running?

On 11/4/2017 at 9:51 AM, mike20021969 said:

I also find this happens from time to time, but the icon does also go to a green circle with a tick in it when the download starts.

Incidentally, what version of uTorrent are you running?

I've never seen the green circle, *ever*.

I'm always on whatever the latest version is, it auto-updates itself and tells me about it after. Currently 3.5 (44090) (32-bit - I don't know why, it's running on a 64-pit PC)

On 11/4/2017 at 5:53 PM, PiusX said:

That tells you there in no incoming connections and you have to wait for the swarms to catch up to properly get the right connections to show connections.

Thanks, I but I have no idea what any of that means

"no incoming connections" - but I'm seeding multiple torrents. Are those not incoming connections?

"wait for the swarms to catch up" - huh? What's a swarm? When will it ever catch up, because I never, *ever* see anything but the amber warning icon. Catch up with what?

"to get the right connections to show connections" - yeah, like I said, you might as well have said that in Russian. No idea what you are talking about. Thanks anyway...

4 hours ago, DreadWingKnight said:

Ah. I see. I never knew that. I have tried reading stuff about Torrents but in general everything I've found either puts me to sleep or loses me within two sentences (or both). This article you linked is the first one that explains *clearly* without too much detail.

One detail it left out though: what port(s) should I open? Is it this one in the uT settings screen?

ScreenShot2270.jpg.70da051699b6adf6a1c2133d354f6f2a.jpg

...and if so,

- TCP or UDP?

- I would presumably have to port forward this port to the relevant machine?

- how would remote clients connect if I used that [Random Port] button - they wouldn't know what port to use?

Archived