Very urgent problem with failing hard drive

Frank63

Hello,

The external hard drive i'm downloading all my torrents and content to is failing and dying. I need to move quickly now before i lose a zillion (to me) invaluable files.
I read the migration article but it doesn't appear to be the same as my situation.

Situation:
I have the programm Utorrent, latest version, installed on the c drive, this will stay as it is.
I've always downloaded torrents and content (files) to my external hard drive H: (which is dying now.)
I bought a new external hard drive which drive letter is K:
Now i want to move all my 3000+ torrents and content (files) from H: to K:
Although my question is not complicated i think, on the internet i can't seem to find a guaranteed way to do this (and i have searched like crazy!)
I do not want to take any risk with those torrents and content so i'm asking for the quickest and safest way to move all torrents and content to my new hard drive.

What are the steps i have to take? Can someone, who really knows a safe and quick way, please explain??? My time with this failing hard drive is running out.

Thanks.

Okay thanks, but  i am an absolute beginner with this.
So, to be absolutely clear about the proper steps to take: (there's a lot of content on stake here) the following questions :

We have torrents and we have files (content) right?

What do you mean by "remove the torrents from utorrent without deleting any of the files", the torrents or the files (content)?
And how to remove either the torrents or files from utorrent without deleting them?

After my questions are answered and i follow your steps can i still seed from the new location? This is very important to me.

Could you please explain as to a four year old kid, the step by step instructions to take? Because i have to be absolutely certain i don't lose any of the files or the seeding-capability.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Frank63 said:

And how to remove either the torrents or files from utorrent without deleting them?

Click on 1 of your torrents to highlight it. Then to select them all in one go, press ctrl+A.

Press the Stop button icon.

With them all still highlighted  (i.e. selected), right-click on any 1 of them>Remove.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:04 AM, Frank63 said:

Hello,

The external hard drive i'm downloading all my torrents and content to is failing and dying. I need to move quickly now before i lose a zillion (to me) invaluable files.
I read the migration article but it doesn't appear to be the same as my situation.

Situation:
I have the programm Utorrent, latest version, installed on the c drive, this will stay as it is.
I've always downloaded torrents and content (files) to my external hard drive H: (which is dying now.)
I bought a new external hard drive which drive letter is K:
Now i want to move all my 3000+ torrents and content (files) from H: to K:
Although my question is not complicated i think, on the internet i can't seem to find a guaranteed way to do this (and i have searched like crazy!)
I do not want to take any risk with those torrents and content so i'm asking for the quickest and safest way to move all torrents and content to my new hard drive.

What are the steps i have to take? Can someone, who really knows a safe and quick way, please explain??? My time with this failing hard drive is running out.

Thanks.

Here's what I would do since that is a external drive if you have another match size drive or close to it.

1. Stop utorrent from running. Don't no run it again til end of replacement and only then.

2. With Explorer and both old and new drive attached copy and move all the files and folder from the old drive to the new drive.

3. Do nothing with the computer while it is doing this to prevent further problems

4. Assign the new drive with the same name as the old drive.

5. Unplug old and new drive

6. Power down and plug in new drive and then reboot.

7. Confirm in Explorer that the new drive is now H: and if not go to Device Manager and change the Drive letter to H: and save

8. Then confirm with Explorer that is is now H: drive

9. Then start utorrent and it should find the new drive and continue as nothing happened.

How I know this well I replaced a 1TB utorrent drive with a 3TB drive and did what I just instructed and utorrent didn't protest this change and went about it business as before.

Never delete the appdata/user/utorrent folder doing so will be at your own risk cause that will see the new drive thinking it's the same drive and will continue from where it last stopped. You need to take you time when doing this this is not a 1 hour finish project. Mine took 1 whole day to slowly move the files/data from the old drive to the new drive it was a slow and tedious process but all your data will move from the old to the new if you do it right.

On 12-11-2017 at 11:00 PM, PiusX said:

Here's what I would do since that is a external drive if you have another match size drive or close to it.

1. Stop utorrent from running. Don't no run it again til end of replacement and only then.

2. With Explorer and both old and new drive attached copy and move all the files and folder from the old drive to the new drive.

3. Do nothing with the computer while it is doing this to prevent further problems

4. Assign the new drive with the same name as the old drive.

5. Unplug old and new drive

6. Power down and plug in new drive and then reboot.

7. Confirm in Explorer that the new drive is now H: and if not go to Device Manager and change the Drive letter to H: and save

8. Then confirm with Explorer that is is now H: drive

9. Then start utorrent and it should find the new drive and continue as nothing happened.

How I know this well I replaced a 1TB utorrent drive with a 3TB drive and did what I just instructed and utorrent didn't protest this change and went about it business as before.

Never delete the appdata/user/utorrent folder doing so will be at your own risk cause that will see the new drive thinking it's the same drive and will continue from where it last stopped. You need to take you time when doing this this is not a 1 hour finish project. Mine took 1 whole day to slowly move the files/data from the old drive to the new drive it was a slow and tedious process but all your data will move from the old to the new if you do it right.

Thank you very much for this clear step by step tutorial. I'm following your route. Been busy with step 2 the last couple of days, been copying all files and folders (torrents and content) to my new drive. This will take me weeks because i have terabytes of data and my hard drive is failing very often now, sometimes even in the middle of copying files, so than i have to do that piece all over again and sometimes multiple times.
Can i also rename the old failing hard drive, (after copying all the files off it offcourse), to L:  ?  And my new hd to H: ? This way i can have my old hd still active with a bunch of not so important files on it, which i can copy to the new hd every now and then.

Ok, if your drive is failing during this process just copy a limited amount of files at a time that will insure not data bits are lost in transitions. This will take longer but will insure no bits are lost inbetween the transfer. If the problem is happening to often power down everything unplug the failing drive and let it rest to cool down for a day or so and then try again this way you insure the drive is not so stressed that it starts to corrupt the data when transferring. This also will make the transfer time longer but will at least help get the data move in a safer setup.

51 minutes ago, PiusX said:

Ok, if your drive is failing during this process just copy a limited amount of files at a time that will insure not data bits are lost in transitions. This will take longer but will insure no bits are lost inbetween the transfer. If the problem is happening to often power down everything unplug the failing drive and let it rest to cool down for a day or so and then try again this way you insure the drive is not so stressed that it starts to corrupt the data when transferring. This also will make the transfer time longer but will at least help get the data move in a safer setup.

Okay, will do, thanks a lot.

22 hours ago, Frank63 said:

Can i also rename the old failing hard drive, (after copying all the files off it offcourse), to L:  ?  And my new hd to H: ? This way i can have my old hd still active with a bunch of not so important files on it, which i can copy to the new hd every now and then.

Actually before the transfer you could name the Old drive to L: as well before this all starts and the rename the new drive to H: but the drive letter designation won't matter til after your done and getting it ready to rename to H: so utorrent sees the right drive. Just don't use utorrent til this is done. So you can do it now or later it won't matter to the computer itself only to utorrent when the time comes. Just remember which drive is which when you doing this.

1 hour ago, PiusX said:

Actually before the transfer you could name the Old drive to L: as well before this all starts and the rename the new drive to H: but the drive letter designation won't matter til after your done and getting it ready to rename to H: so utorrent sees the right drive. Just don't use utorrent til this is done. So you can do it now or later it won't matter to the computer itself only to utorrent when the time comes. Just remember which drive is which when you doing this.

Great, excellent support from you, thanks again.

Archived