How to install utorrent 3.5.44090 on non-administrator account?

Kattey

Hello!

I have Windows 10 x64 installed and two accounts: administrator (just for safety) and main user which is not administrator.

So I try to install utorrent 3.5.44090 through User account. It asks administrator password and installs utorrent only for admin account. User account still have previous version (43916).

If i try to install utorrent 3.5.44090 through Administrator account the result is the same. I have new version on admon account and previous version on User account.

I can create a chortcut on new version of Utorrent but I'll loose all my torrents in Utorrent (it is crucial for me).

Before utorrent 3.5.44090 I just had installed new versions through any account I want, but now id does not work.

So can you give me a piece of advice how to update utorrent on User account without loosing torrents?

Thank you!

Your doing this the hard way...

I installed utorrent on the Admin account and ran utorrent on the User account and all I did was update the configuration for the User account as that will be separate when running utorrent for the user account. Also make sure you create separate folders for the user account when loading the utorrent program so it will know where to send the files too.

aka create folder for User in utorrent preferences you'll be glad you did as the user appdata/user folder be just for that User only and the Admin will have it's own folder assuming you created this same process as well.

1.user Documents Folder : Admin Documents Folder

and so on

2. user Torrents folder.... you get the gist here.

3. user Completed

4. user Trash

Which will separate the torrents based on the user and not stack them into one folder that could be more trouble then it's worth if you accidental delete the wrong one would affect the other account. This is alot of work to do this but you will be glad for it. Just make sure you logg off the Admin account when you do this otherwise it could cause problem since switching account doesn't turn off the program. So Log off the account when doing this. After that utorrent can run on the User account without problem.  But one difference here is that I installed utorrent on a separate Drive aka E: drive and from either Admin or User torrent can run utorrent. So this might be something you want to consider if you want to only use utorrent on the User account. But since I don't your setup this will be something you have to decide on here.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did it give you the option to install for all users? And did you install utorrent in it's own folder not in Programx86? If so you might want to make in the root of C: ... C:\utorrent or on D:\utorrent and then from there it should created a shortcut on the Limited user where you can run it without having to always use the admin login to run it? If this wasn't tried you might try this and see if it works different. Remember this will create a appdata for the admin location and one in Limited user account. And when you create the folders to down to keep each task separate name it different like D:\utorrent\user1torrent for torrent and the same D:\utorrent\user1download for downloading torrents and then so one with the user1 as the separator so when you go looking for the torrent or files you know where to look and now have them all massed into one big jumbo folder that you will have no idea what is what and what is completed.

>>> You shouldn't install from the Limited user account that should be still done from the Admin
Why that wasn't the case for 3.4? -- it worked just fine under non-admin account.

And, BTW, I'm not "installing" anything -- putting uTorrent.exe into existing "environment" supposed to invoke "portable" mode.

With the older version I used and currently using all I did was install up to a certain version not going v3 and running the Limited account with the E:\utorrent folder I had no issues running utorrent from the limited account. And this is with Windows 10x64 Pro FCU 1709 O/S. Could be something they changed in v3 now that is conflicting with the priviledges if so that isn't good. This is one reason I stayed with older utorrent because v3 was a bitcoin miner and caused lost torrent and bad ads so after a test run I stop using v3 series.

• 1 month later...

Ignore PiusX, the whole point of utorrent installing under the roaming user profile seems lost on him and a standard user installation is only 'broken' because the stub wants to also side load crapware which does require administrative elevation.

Just install it under the admin account, navigate to %appdata% and then copy the uTorrent  folder to users/standardaccount/appdata/roaming and make shortcuts or pin as required.

Archived