Utorrent takes up all the bandwidth?

il1019

hi. i have two questions actually.

1) are the new versions of the linksys firmware ok with utorrent? ive been using the latest one, 4.30.5 and the status is green after i set port forwarding. my download speeds are good. The directions on your site refer to a version 1. something firmware. is the newer firmware all clear?

so im really not having problems with download or upload speeds, thats just a general question.

2) my speed problem comes when utorrent is running. I can't access any websites, they all just time out. I've tried limiting the upload speed to 30 kB/s but it doesnt help. I have comcast cable internet, i think its 4 Mbps/384 Kbps. Is it normal to not be able to surf the net while downloading torrents? is it my router or my internet connection? please help!

Disable UPnP port mapping.

tried it, restarted utorrent and couldn't even load yahoo.com had to shut down utorrent for the internet to use the internet. about 15 seconds after utorrent closes, web site speeds return to normal. please help!

Disable DHT and UPnP, reduce half-open connections (net.max_halfopen) to 4, lower bt.connect_speed to only 10, set net.low_cpu to TRUE.

Run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and use the xx/96k settings.

...and see if that's any better.

Have you patched Win XP SP2's half-open connection limit?

• 9 months later...

I've had this problem for a long time, couldn't use the www at all while downloading with utorrent.

That was until I read the post by Switeck:

Disable DHT and UPnP, reduce half-open connections (net.max_halfopen) to 4, lower bt.connect_speed to only 10, set net.low_cpu to TRUE.

Run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and use the xx/96k settings.

...and see if that's any better.

... I seldom write replies when I find solutions in forums, but this time it was worth it. Not only can I surf the net, I also have higher download-speeds. Thanx S!

/Øystein

• 8 months later...

I have a linksys router and have been having the same problem. I have changed the settings as Switeck suggested and the initial problem accessing the internet has been solved, however, utorrent download speeds have decreased dramatically. I know this thread is pretty old but I am hoping some one will have a suggestion. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

ok. I'm behind a linksys WRT54G ver 6.0 and was having the same problem that started this thread. The problem didn't start immediately after I began using utorrent, but after a couple of weeks. I did everything Switeck said, and now it works. The only thing wrong was (and maybe I didn't understand correctly and I unchecked the wrong option) that the "Enable UPnP port mapping" has to be checked, otherwise you never get a port open.

Oh, and I have the number of connections as 200, 90, 4 using a speed connection of 1mbit.

Just wanted to say thanks for this great forum. It's been very helpful to make the best of this amazing software.

If you need UPnP, then you didn't forward your router/s manually...or they have (slightly?) wrong manual settings.

(It's possible your modem has a mini-router in it as well, which accepts UPnP requests. That would also need to be forwarded manually if you wish to disable UPnP.)

• 1 year later...

Switeck's solution "Disable DHT and UPnP, reduce half-open connections (net.max_halfopen) to 4, lower bt.connect_speed to only 10, set net.low_cpu to TRUE." worked like a char to me too!

I had to exit utorrent every time I wanted to use internet. Now I can leave it open.

Thanks!

As an update, I recommend lowering bt.connect_speed all the way to 1-4 now. That's 1-4 outgoing new peer/seed ip connection attempts per second...if you're not firewalled incoming connections don't count against that limit.

Also, disable Resolve IPs (right-click in Peers window of a torrent).

Lastly, it's remotely possible that uTP peers/seeds and Teredo/IPv6 could cause problems as well -- but ONLY disable them if disabling the other stuff didn't help!

• 1 month later...

Switeck or anyone can you help me im sorta a noob when it comes to utorrent i disabled Disable DHT and UPnP but i dont know how to reduce half-open connections (net.max_halfopen) to 4, lower bt.connect_speed to only 10, set net.low_cpu to TRUE.

Can anyone please help me dad downloads like crazy wont stop and internet is so slow and i want to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2!

net.max_halfopen and bt.connect_speed are both settings under Preferences, Advanced. (CTRL+P)

You will also need to configure uTorrent based on your connection's max UPLOAD speed...which may be lower in your area than normal for that ISP.

Speed Guide (CTRL+G) for that...

• 11 months later...

i created an account on this forum only to post this reply:

Switeck's solution worked for me too, but i still cant get the utorrent tests to not bring up the "connection error 10060" when i do a bandwidth test.

and the port test still says i dont have an open port, but i can download.

i have a linksys routher, i port forwarded, disabled all port mapping, disabled all DHT, disabled peer discovery, disabled resolve IP's, added exceptions to firewall, added exception to microsoft security essentials for utorrent.exe, went to router info and made sure DPI firewall was disabled while port range forwarding and port forwarding, did the three changes to the advanced settings, and i thinks thats everything i messed with.

i know this is an old thread, but most things should still apply.

oh and Windows 7, utorrent 2.2, MSE, linksys WRT54GL, and download/upload speeds are 22 Mb/s / 4 Mb/s

i probably wont be checking this thread because everything seems to be working, but if anyone knows why the Tests arent working, and wants to email me, please do.

thanks

Archived