Why Utorrent recheck completed torrents on windows startup?

askfriends

Hi;

Why Utorrent recheck completed torrents which are currently marked as SEEDING in the download list?

This is frustrating as utorrent consumes almost all hardware resources to complete rechecking on windows startup, While it should show completed torrents as SEEDING and recheck all incomplete torrents.

I have windows 10 1709

Thanks for response.

no i dont close utorrent before shutting down windows and i never did this before, i remember in old days it wasn't a problem and every time i used to shutdown or restart pc, my completed torrents always come up as SEEDING state.

Is there any way to tell windows to wait for utorrent to complete its closure and then shutdown Windows?

its not possible specially for me  to every time make sure to exit utorrent before shutting down windows.

This is a question for M$... Their OS is updating every month, so who knows... I don't think you can directly control this. I suggest to first try to close uT manually and confirm that this is, in fact, the root cause for your issue.

There is also the likelihood that there is a bug, and uT does not save it's config files properly when Windows shut's it down... You can probably check it in the time stamp of the resume.dat file. 

Since there is no version posting no one can really know which version your using is having or not having problems. And rechecking of torrents is a torrent improper shutdown not a Windows O/S issue. Windows AFAIK has nothing to do with utorrent rechecking torrents. utorrent rechecks because it crashed or was improperly shutdown without time to shutdown. This is the only way you get constant rechecking-you need to keep a log of what your doing to see where the problem is coming from. I have utorrent and W10x64 Pro FCU 1709 and how no issue with utorrent rechecking other then if I suddenly restarted or shutdown without closing utorrent then it would go through the process to recheck all torrents.

11 hours ago, PiusX said:

no issue with utorrent rechecking other then if I suddenly restarted or shutdown without closing utorrent then it would go through the process to recheck all torrents.

This is the exact problematic use-case. uT has to write all settings file (especially resume.dat) once it is being closed by Windows. It seems to not do that some times, and this is a problem (not sure if it is a bug). A simple test for that is - as I said - note the timestamp of resume.dat. force-start any torrent, and shutdown Windows (alt-F4).  When you reboot, you can see the time-stamp of resume.dat - not changed (file was not saved) plus that torrent - is stopped. As I said, not sure it it is a uT issue, or Windows not waiting for it to fully exit... 

I suggest to first try to close uT manually and confirm that this is, in fact, the root cause for your issue.

@askfriends: have you succeeded to bypass the issue with exiting uTorrent before shutting down?

well well guys...let me explain what was actual problem and how i got it fixed.

i am using latest utorrent build ie: 3.5 Beta, since i am using nexus dock in windows 10 64bit, i wanted to have shutdown/restart/lock buttons appear in the dock so i googled and found some shortcut codes to achieve it. So i created shortcuts using these codes

For shutdown

Shutdown -s -t 00

For Logoff

Shutdown.exe -L

For Restart

Shutdown.exe -r

So as you can see, shutdown code contains timer which is specified as 00 seconds, which means when i click on the button it immediately closes all the apps and shutdown pc.

So when i learned about it, i just removed timer -t 00 from the code above, and now it shuts down normally.

Now utorrent closes itself before windows shuts down and everything is back to normal.

I thank you guys for taking time and trying to help me out.

Archived