Help! utorrent wiped clean!

Osiris3.0

Yesterday my computer, for some inexplicable reason, just wasn't responding, so I had to do a hard shut down.I reboot, open utorrent and everything is just gone.I had over 4,000 incomplete/qued and complete torrents and they're all just gone.My settings had all been wiped too.Someone please tell me what to do to restore it to the way it was.

You've got to be kidding.Well that's not happening because I can't afford to take it to a computer shop and I just can't accept that there's nothing that can be done, so i'm just going to have to try to do it myself.I do have recovery software.Can you atleast tell me where to start, or what files I should be looking for?There's got to be something I can do.

Your torrents should still be stored at %AppData%\uTorrent (copy and paste this into explorer url bar directly), where you may be able to manually recover all torrents.

I don't know of a better way to prevent this than exiting uTorrent after adding enough torrents and then re-opening it to force save state into the disk.

I've done hard restart on my utorrent before when it was running and all it did was recheck all my torrents. What yours did is more likely a crash and since no one was there to see or observe it that will be hard to now what happened. So that is why I said take it to a computer shop so they can see what is happening to fix it. I highly doubt a hard restarting would cause the amount of damage your referring to.

I thought you were done with me when you didn't respond for a few days.I don't understand it either.I've had computer crashes and power outages before and my utorrent, when reopened, just rechecked my torrents too, which is why I was shocked to see everything gone.Like I said, I can't afford to pay someone else to look at my computer, but anyway here's where i'm at now.When I first opened the utorrent folder after it happened there were a hand full of files including some settings.dat.old and resume.dat.old files, but they all had modified dates from 2013, which is weird because I installed utorrent in 2014.

I used some data recovery software and found resume and settings files from more recently including the day before the shutdown.They were around 10, or 11 MB in size, so I figured they must still hold the data I need.I deleted what was already in the folder and tried putting in the files I found and removing the .old from the end of the file names.It didn't work.My transfer window was still blank.I tried opening them in BEncode  and Hex editors just to see if I could read them because of course I don't know how to actually use those programs.In Hex it was just a bunch of jibberish.In Bencode it kept saying "failed to decode data", or "binary data cannot be edited directly", or "An error was encountered while trying to decode the input file.Should BEncode editor attempt to recover the file?".I click yes and it fails.

Today I took another whack at it.I realized i've been looking in the wrong appdata/roaming/utorrent folder this whole time.It turns out I actually have 2 of them and the appdata folder I should have been looking in was hidden.I changed the settings to show hidden files and folders and looked in the right utorrent folder this time.All of my torrents are still there, but I really want to avoid manually reloading them all 1 by 1 because like said there are over 4,000 of them.I also found a filed called "resume.dat.1517198033.bad".I tried it in BEncode editor, and it said "An error was encountered while trying to decode the input file.Should BEncode editor attempt to recover the file?".I click yes.This time It says "Some data may have been recovered".I look under structure and there are my torrents.

Now that i've discovered that the current resume.dat file was hidden within the folder this whole time i've tried again to delete and replace it, but everytime I do and open utorrent it's still blank and when I close utorrent the resume.dat file I put in there gets .old put back on the end of it and a new resume.dat is created.It seems to just ignore the ones I put in there and keep making a new one.Can you give me any ideas as to what to try next?

UPDATE:

It looks like what happened was somehow the resume.dat file got corrupted during the shutdown and that was the problem.After recovering "resume.dat.1517198033.bad" in BEncode and saving it in my utorrent folder it finally opened with most (roughly 3,400 out of the 4,000+) of my torrents back.It looks like the other resume.dat.old files I recovered are damaged beyond repair.I'm running another data recovery scan to see if I can find another one, but i'm not hopeful.It looks like this .bad file is all I have to go on, but I was only able to salvage most of it.Is there any other way to save this whole file, or restore it to the way it was?If not, Is there some way to bulk auto load the rest of the missing torrents that are still in that folder with there file names intact?I have particular way of naming files that makes them more easy to organize, so that's how they appear in the folder not the default names you see when you first que them up.

FYI, user forum have a life outside of the internet and we get busy and respond back when we can not because we don't want to respond. Only other way to restore you torrents is if you remember where they came from or had a safe backup of the previous data otherwise those damage files can't be fixed.

Archived