Error: Can't open .torrent file

Migalis

Error: Can't open .torrent file  

This is the status of all my torrents I have tried to download for the past 2 weeks now. I have been torrenting for 7 years and I have never seen this before, I have made no recent changes to my pc. I use malwarebytes and I have tried every solution I have read on this forum about the same issue.

I checked my ISP. My ISP does not block torrenting/bandwidth limit, and I have tried many different torrents. 

I also checked the hidden labels, that just shows all the torrents, they sit there and won't change status, just says Error: Can't open .torrent file: (whatever torrent I download)

I attached a screenshot of the errors, I deleted all the torrents I tried to download last week, I just tried to download a few for an example.

If someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. 

Thank you utorrent forum

:)

Screenshot_5.png

18 hours ago, DreadWingKnight said:

Remove and re-add all torrent files.

Do NOT have autoload and store in set to the same folder.

They are not set to the same folder, and by remove and re add you mean, remove them all and drag all the .torrent files back into Utorrent? That does no fix anything, neither does adding them manually. They won't appear anywhere when adding them, also any torrent including my old ones will not start downloading. 

That means to remove the torrent task but not the file. And reload the same torrent from where you got it and if it is the same one it will restart. That is what is meant. Also if I read right that error only comes up because the user moved the torrent file from it location where it was started at to give that error message because it can't find it.

Yes I just read about that too, the files location did move at all. Now even if I try to download new torrents, or  delete them and re download them, it does not work, all forms of downloading results in that error from utorrent. 

Still nothing works

Thank you guys for replying either way.

18 hours ago, mike20021969 said:

Just to confirm: your .torrent files are in the following location?:

qnnVazsG_o.jpg

Yes, 100%. Here is a screenshot, hoping I made a huge mistake and there is an obvious reason to all of this in the screenshot.

I hope I've made a fool of myself but it really doesn't seem like it.

All of the torrent files are in that location which as you can see is the location that is set in the preferences.

image.thumb.png.a027591922160235b1e8b46cf54dd1c6.png

Right-click on a problem torrent>Remove. Now, add it back (File>Add Torrent, or click Add Torrent icon). What happens?

Or try right-clicking on a problem torrent>Force Re-check. What happens after the check?

If that doesn't help: Have you altered, in anyway at all (e.g. renamed), the file(s)/folder(s) you downloaded?

On 2/10/2018 at 12:18 AM, mike20021969 said:

Right-click on a problem torrent>Remove. Now, add it back (File>Add Torrent, or click Add Torrent icon). What happens?

Or try right-clicking on a problem torrent>Force Re-check. What happens after the check?

If that doesn't help: Have you altered, in anyway at all (e.g. renamed), the file(s)/folder(s) you downloaded?

What happens? Nothing at all, I have to remove the .torrent and re magnet online to get it back on the Hidden No labels section.

Force Re-check : Nothing at all, it just rechecks and then gives me the error.

I have not altered in anyway the files or folders I downloaded.

I downloaded bitcomet, and tried out a torrent, Worked great! But I hate it, it's complete garbage and I'd really like to go back to utorrent, but it really seems like mine just broke, I even reinstalled it and I get the same issue.

So it seems like I'm gonna be sticking to bitcomet until further instruction.

Thank you for replying, muchly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem several years ago.  The issue being the my E: drive attached as the "F:" drive for some reason.  It was such a subtle change that it took me quite a while to finally notice it.  I had become complacent, as Windows wants to retain the same drive letter for the same device each time it's plugged in.  Unfortunately, I had a thumb drive plugged in when I attached my external disk.  The E drive letter was in use, so Windows simply assigned F to the external disk.  Subsequent use then gravitated to using the F drive letter.  I finally used the Disk Management Utility in the Control Panel to rename the drive.  In all, it was a couple of days before I figured out what was wrong and then what was needed to fix it.

• 2 months later...

Deleted all of my torrents, completely reinstalled utorrent a whole 3 months later, problem is still here. Love to get a final answer. I wiped my Utorrent clean the other day, reinstalled it, and tried to download a torrent, and It just doesnt appear anywhere, concluded to my LAST issue which took me a while to find out where the torrents were ending up, In the hidden labels section with an error message next to every magnet I click, opens utorrent and nothing happens.

I'd love a new answer because even bittorrent doesn't work. :(

Thank you forum.

image.thumb.png.5dd5c64a70e9568448d47f9e90e0e8f8.pngimage.png.8fb56739fb27b29a4abb3d6fdc081cda.png

I don't think this is a problem with uTorrent at all.

It's simply a case of user configuration error - if it wasn't, everyone would be reporting this.

What is the E:\ drive?

As a test, set the Location Of Downloaded Files to somewhere on the C:\ drive. Does that help?

By the way:

Because you have set Put new downloads in E:\Games, then setting Move completed downloads to: E:\Games is not necessary.

Archived