UTorrent Crash Dump OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER

morphs

My UTorrent application has "crashed" about 15-20 times over the past 2-3 days.  Prior to the last couple days, it crashed maybe 5-10 times over 3-6 months.  Something has obviously changed in the last couple days.  Any suggestions on what might be causing this?  It CANNOT be the Active number of Torrents uploading or downloading because that hasn't changed at all.  I am wondering if it is possibly the total number of torrents "stored" in the program which obviously would include any and all past downloads not removed from the application.  Is there some upper boundary number of total torrents beyond which the program can no longer function properly and repeatedly crash?

UTorrent Crash Dump.PNG

Windows Defender, it looks like it may have updated sometime recently.  I am by no means a computer expert, but the nature of the error seems to suggest it is some type of "memory issue" so I am trying to consider items that tax the "memory" storage of the PC and/or Utorrent application.

1.  Is there some practical max limit to the number of torrents that can be stored in Utorrent?  500? 1000? 3000?  Is there some number of torrents that is "excessive"?

2.  It appears to me that Utorrent "uses the memory" of the PC has some sort of buffer/in between point before "writing" the data to the external hard drive.  What are the limitations here?  5 simultaneous downloads?  10? 15? 20?  I've got disk cache set to 128, and bandwidth to 200, 50, 4. 

3.  Is the PC hard drive utilized also as an "in between point" before writing to the external hard drive?  If so, how much space should there be?  Right now, I've got 9.48 GB free after freeing up some space in the last 24-36 hours.  I have noticed the exact number of the C: drive changing during torrenting which leads me to believe it is being used in some way by the application.

My key objective here is to maximize the efficiency and speed of torrenting while at all costs avoiding "crashes".  Crashes become gargantuan setbacks because for whatever reason after a crash Utorrent has to "check" a torrent before resuming the download and goes back and "checks" recently completed torrents.  This results in an enormous amount of lost time and inefficiency because hours get spent "checking" instead of picking up downloading exactly where you left off prior to the crash.  As a side point, I have no idea why the program "checks" recently completed torrents after a crash.

Anyhow, any feedback on what settings to use to maximize speed of downloads while keeping crash risk miniscule would be very appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

I'm receiving that same uTorrent error message in the screenshot above.  It started happening when the number of torrents I was downloading (whether actively or stopped or paused) grew beyond ten-thousand or so.

The error reoccurs a few minutes after I launch uTorrent on its own.  I can also cause uTorrent to crash if I tell a newly added torrent to go to the top of my download list or by simply changing the existing download order of any of my existing torrents in the download queue.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with 8 GB RAM, a 1 TB SSD and Fiber internet connection.  I use Avira antivirus.  Been using uTorrent for probably a decade and never experienced the Crash Dump error or memory errors before.  I used to have 4 GB RAM and replaced it all with newer faster 8 GB to see if that would resolve the issue, but no change.

I wonder if removing torrents that are in queue would resolve the issue, but I don't want to lose the many torrents or the queue order I have.  I wish there were a way to export a portion of my torrent list so I could temporarily remove it until the number of torrents shrunk back down.

Have the folks at uTorrent tested it with 10k+ torrents?  I'm pretty sure that's the only thing that changed with my system when the reoccurring errors and corresponding crashes started happening.

Any suggestions besides deleting my massive torrent list would be greatly appreciated.

I'm receiving that same uTorrent error message in the screenshot above.  It started happening when the number of torrents I was downloading (whether actively or stopped or paused) grew beyond ten-thousand or so.

YUP!  This.

I was around 9000 when this started happening constantly over and over, and yes moving torrents around, reordering often seemed to be the catalyst for a crash.  I removed about 3000 to 4000 torrents, and voila problem solved, it hasn't crashed since then.  I think the program is simply not robust/powerful enough to handle storing 10,000 torrents even if 9800 of them are already 100% completed torrents that are in Seeding or Queued Seeding status.  I've noticed something else with a large number of torrents and that is many completed torrents "lose" the associated "file info" so that UTorrent no longer knows what drive they are stored on and when the torrent was added.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived