Torrents won't seed or download

hellrazor

I am completely at a loss. I have tried everything I can think of from watching videos to reading blogs and NOTHING works. I first downloaded torrents to c: then moved to external, but I could never get Utorrent to find the files no matter what I did so I started downloading my torrents straight to my external. Now when I have to log off then later log back on it is a pain getting the torrents to start again and I boot with external plugged in. Now they won't start at all. Even the new ones won't start. They keep trying to connect to peers. I have been able to get only one torrent to seed after stopping/restarting. I am beginning to wonder if there is a limit to how many times you can download/seed torrents but I cannot find this anywhere. The only thing that came close was you can be banned for being a leecher. Well that I am because I can't get the torrent to seed or I get files are missing or cannot find file. Out of all my torrents I got one to seed after moving my torrents to an easier to manage file (movies, music, etc.). I got smart and created subfolder first. This worked for a day or two, but now I am back to square one.

image.png.329252e6109e5bb68d6027e02165bb6a.png

These are screenshots of one that is connecting to peers (now for 9 hours) (This was at 85.3% when I restarted Utorrent this morning. A few minutes ago it started over for some reason),

image.png.2269f326714c9f57bb57f125bdbe27d0.png

one that is seeding and in the red (now for 9 hours),

image.png.101d233f92f319eee32577f914e6c0b4.png

and one that is seeding with no problem since yesterday.

11 hours ago, DreadWingKnight said:

It looks like you either have bad firewall settings or you followed one of those youtube guides that claims to be the best settings but is actually garbage.

You say they are garbage, but you do not explain or give your idea of what the settings should be. That is your personal opinion. The settings I have came from several blogs/forums so they are more than likely not garbage. I have also used all kinds of different settings of my own and still does not work. Could it be from not seeding enough? 

2 hours ago, hellrazor said:

what the settings should be.

uTorrent's "out-of-the-box" default settings would be a good starting place.

Or try rafi's settings. Download them from his signature here:

https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/107419-torrent-with-seeder-not-downloading/?do=findComment&comment=525873

Before trying his - you'll need to rename his file settings.dat - don't forget to back up your own settings.dat file first.

Mike I have no clue how to backup settings. 

Well I turned on my torrents yesterday and low and behold a miracle happened . . .  Everything worked as it should. I was so excited. Then a few hours later everything went red. two torrents said error cannot find file. 7 others turned red when I tried to seed and the last one started redownloading. I did nothing to settings nor did I move them. All I did was exit utorrent then when I could restarted utorrent. I got two of them seeding again but now they are back to being red. Again I did nothing to them but exited then returned later on. Sow how can they one minute work just fine and the next turn red? I have tried restarting utorrent, refreshing, restarting computer, and shutting down computer completely then booting up with external attached. None of these worked.

43 minutes ago, hellrazor said:

I have no clue how to backup settings... ...everything went red.

With uTorrent exited, open the uTorrent folder (depending on your install method, this could be in your Application Data folder) and remove the 2 files settings.dat & settings.dat.old to another location (i.e desktop). The you can replace with rafi's if you still want to try that, If that don't work out, delete rafi's then move those other 2 back into the folder from where they came.

Seeding showing Red means that the trackers are either not working or off-line.

Also, your images show "DHT: Waiting to log in". Read this on a possible solution for that:

https://depthstrike.com/2007/11/24/utorrent-dht-troubleshooting/

Ah, I get it. *slaps forehead*

Ok I tried replying with new reply and I was not allowed so I am editing this.

I tried finding torrent file and it is nowhere to be found. I tried searching c: AND manually. No torrent file. I am also back to square one.  I found it the other day under users/my name but it is not there and I haven't touched it. I have noticed that my external is moving torrent files I have downloaded directly to it on its own though. For instance when I got back on my laptop and booted up utorrent I had this problem so I checked the files (I had no errors or file cannot be found). I noticed that my movies/mission impossible and movies/spiderman and movies/transformers files were no longer in movies folder but in its own folder.

This is getting too weird and complicated. I am about to say $#@! it.

I'm getting a similar issue on uTOrrent 3.5.3 build 44358. When the application starts it connects to trackers fine, however after some time like 30-60 minutes not sure exactly, all connections to trackers coming back with status "Connection timed out". Yeah I know you will say firewall bla bla bla, but it is not. If I update some preferences like Enable NAT-PMP port mapping or Enable UPnP port mapping, doesn't really matter any setting, I'm able to update trackers for some time again and there are no issues with connections. Anybody know what is happening? I haven't seen anything like that in FAQ.  

+ after some time the network status icon goes to yellow, and after I update the preferences it goes back to green for some time. 

6 hours ago, vetl said:

Anybody know what is happening?

Is the problem with public trackers, private trackers or both?

Is it possible you have a bad settings.dat file...? Try with a brand new (empty) settings file:

1) Exit uTorrent. Open uTorrent's data folder and move both settings.dat & settings.dat.old to another location/folder (you can then move them back if things don't improve).

2) Create a text file and name it settings.dat in uTorrent's data folder then launch uTorrent.

3) Does that help with tracker issue?

Incidentally, I added a torrent around 4 hours ago. I've been keeping an eye on it and the tracker status has been continually "Working" for that time. In the past I've occasionally noticed if a torrent has multiple trackers one or more may time out, but never them all.

3 hours ago, mike20021969 said:

2) Create a text file and name it settings.dat in uTorrent's data folder then launch uTorrent.

thanks will try that now and will post in 12hrs, the only change that I did is to configure proxy as on the screen below. screenshot of original issue has been attached as well. 

preferences1.jpg

torrent_beforesettings.jpg

As you have only just mentioned you're using a proxy...

To test if your proxy is at fault, try stopping/removing your "problematic" torrents.

Disable your proxy. Then try with a Slackware torrent. These aren't infringing (and I'm not implying your others are): http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php

Does "Connection timed out" issue occur...?

thnx will try , the problem is if the torrent gets into the weird state with proxy enabled and I disable the proxy to download Slackware, it will update the settings and it will work again for some time :) and since that open source torrent it will get downloaded very fast, I will see if the settings file deletion made any difference. If no will try to put like 10-20 kb/s download limit and download Slackware without proxy. The other issue it is not just the proxy enabled there are a bunch of other features enabled for privacy along with proxy. 

10 minutes ago, vetl said:

will try to put like 10-20 kb/s download limit and download Slackware without proxy.

Yes, lower it to a speed where the "Connection timed out" would have shown by. The ETA column will, of course, assist in how long the download will take for a set speed.

You can download Slackware with your proxy enabled if you wish. If you get a "Connection timed out", I'd guess the proxy is guilty... I might be completely wrong though.

2 hours ago, hellrazor said:

How long will this work though? Also should I delete all those sat files I moved?

Once you're satisfied everything is working as it should, then you can delete those 2 files you moved - it's not like they're HDD space hoggers. Each should only be around 18.8~22.0 kB in size.

I'm back with the findings, settings reset didn't help much. BUT I found something interesting Slackware has been downloading second day without any issues through the proxy. However, rarbg tracker still has Connection timed out issues. The only difference I found was rarbg tracker was udp:// and slackware http:// address. any ideas why UDP be timing out and If I change settings it comes back online again ? same port same everything ...  I found this old thread but there was no solution 

8 hours ago, vetl said:

...Slackware has been downloading second day without any issues through the proxy. However, rarbg tracker still has Connection timed out issues.

Does rarbg have "Connection timed out" without the proxy? I'm guessing your proxy is the cause.

I'm testing without proxy and status is "Working".

RkceAASA_o.jpg

Edit: After numerous hours, status is "Working".

I will test, but I will assume it is working without proxy for now. How can it be a proxy issue if when I update just UPnP preferences I can connect with no issues for some time? same ports same everything. Also, this is the second VPN provides that acts the same, for UDP connection, I doubt that two different VPN providers would have the same issue :./

58 minutes ago, vetl said:

How can it be a proxy issue if when I update just UPnP preferences I can connect with no issues for some time? same ports same everything. Also, this is the second VPN provides that acts the same, for UDP connection, I doubt that two different VPN providers would have the same issue :./

techmanc acknowledged it was a proxy issue on the thread you linked to.

Maybe "Connection timed out" is just something that happens when using any VPN...

7 hours ago, mike20021969 said:

Maybe "Connection timed out" is just something that happens when using any VPN...

but isn't it making uTOrrent application issue and not VPN issue? :D  Also if that is a VPN issue how come it works fine when I update uTorrent settings? like any setting not relevant to the connection? honestly, I suspect some UDP protocol configuration in uTorrent itself is fishy to keep the connection alive through a proxy. 

8 hours ago, vetl said:

I suspect some UDP protocol configuration in uTorrent itself is fishy to keep the connection alive through a proxy. 

Without using a VPN/proxy, there is no issue at all. I'm sure there'd be hundreds and hundreds of similar threads if uTorrent was at fault.

But to troubleshoot this further, try with another torrent client...

10 hours ago, mike20021969 said:

But to troubleshoot this further, try with another torrent

I did that, surprisingly most torrent clients have the same codebase or using the same libraries I guess. The only one that worked was qBittorrent, but functionality isn't great there :(

but if I enable VPN instead of socks5 no issues, but it is pain to have the main PC on VPN, so as a last resort I'm thinking about running VMs on VPN with torrent but that is not a great solution either. 

Archived