uTorrent first file in directory corruption

mdmitry

If a torrent's first piece belongs to a file in subdirectory, uTorrent will trim everything beyond first directory on that file. This leads to all sorts of errors, including inability to seed, re-check, or open that first file.

This bug has already been reported several times:

(the last two posts reported their bug have disappeared, but this is only because they restarted uTorrent. All these reports look 100% like this bug)

My observations so far:

• I see this happening for at least 2 years on both my computers
  • Restarting uTorrent will temporarily fix all these glitches
  • After restarting uTorrent only one torrent glitches (the same one, if no torrents are added or removed), and it happens in seconds after restarting.
  • If I let uTorrent run for a day, I can then glitch any torrent with piece-0 in directory by Force Re-Checking it.
  • (not sure) Only 100% Finished Seeding torrents glitch

5ac40caeedc8b_beforerestart.thumb.png.02ce9057d43d099fdf5d27b3fae3d9d4.png

seed1.thumb.png.98a74d0364c2f7858f2f0fb52d2a2aa8.png

seed2.thumb.png.0fa036e9dd6e1dd3e70b50389ccf75f1.png

I know this is not latest beta, but:

1. There's nothing like it in changelog
  2. After all these years there's no hope of any developers' attention to this bug

I will try to find latest non-glitchy uTorrent version later.

Confirmed here too. Sadly I'm afraid this has been in the client for years now :(  Trying to focus the exact use-case it is when the first "file" is a folder. There is a way to "recover" form this - after it fails to download, just exit and re-run the client. It seems to fix itself... 

A single-file torrent.

Torrent was in Seeding state (no leeches) and Path was good before I clicked Force Re-Check.

It got stuck at "Checking 0.0%".

After restarting uTorrent, Force Re-Check did not trigger the glitch, and checking completed successfully. Second re-checking succeeded too.

245boqp.jpg

You can see "PS3_GAME"  at the top here (1st piece) when it is should be a directory (there is no such file in the list). uTorrent creates a file with that name, and so, fails the rest of the writes.

To fix it you need to physically delete this wring file, so to be able to  create a folder wit the same name.

I didn't understand you example with a simple file torrent, not clear wit the correct file name is.

• 1 month later...
On 04/04/2018 at 5:27 PM, rafi said:

Confirmed here too. Sadly I'm afraid this has been in the client for years now :(  Trying to focus the exact use-case it is when the first "file" is a folder. There is a way to "recover" form this - after it fails to download, just exit and re-run the client. It seems to fix itself... 

Seems to have been worked on in the latest beta. Let's hope this has been finally fixed .... :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally checked different uTorrent versions for this bug.

uTorrent 3.4.5 Stable 41865 (2016 Feb 25) - OK
uTorrent 3.4.6 Beta 42020 (2016 Mar 22) - bug
uTorrent 3.4.6 Stable 42094 (2016 Apr 04) - bug
uTorrent 3.5.3 Stable 44428 (2018 May 12) - bug  (latest version ATM)
uTorrent 3.5.3 Beta 44440 (2018 May 10) - OK

Archived