Incomplete explanation of colours in the "files" tab in FAQ

direvus

The pieces tab and files tab behave differently.

The files tab only has 3 colors. White (not present), Green (in-progress), Blue (committed to disk).

The pieces tab has 5 colors. White (not requested), Green (requested from multiple peers), Light-blue (requested from one peer), Medium-blue (downloaded), Dark Blue (committed to disk).

Ultima is correct, I am asking about the Files tab. This post has nothing at all to do with the Pieces tab and I am very much aware of the distinction between the two tabs. :P

I took a screenshot, hopefully this will make my query more obvious:

utorrent_files.png

Note the various shades of blue!

So, back to my original question; what do the different shades signify? I thought it might represent pieces that are only partially written to disk (i.e., the darker the blue, the more completely written the piece is) but Ultima pointed out that green is used for partially written pieces.

Genuinely puzzled.

Ah, my apologies.

Anyway, I think there's only one shade of blue there. Each file just has a ton of pieces in it, so what you're looking at is a ton of blue lines with some white lines in there too. Make the column wider and it'll probably become more apparent.

Example:

utorrenthb9.th.png

You're entirely right. I widened the column and there is indeed just one shade of blue. I guess µTorrent is clever enough to take an average of the colours when it's trying to represent a bunch of different pieces in a line that's only one pixel wide.

Question answered. Thanks for that.

Sure, it's just deeper shades of blue. (and images that might be real may be illusion)

Make the bar a LOT longer -- bigger than can fit on the screen at once if possible.

My guess is the darker shades represents multiple complete pieces in that area while lighter shades represents areas with few or only 1 completed piece.

Seriously?

http://swords.id.au/screens/utorrent_files_zoom.png

How about now? This is the bottom two progress bars from the same image, four times larger.

If you're not seeing multiple shades of blue in there, I don't know what else I can do except recommend you a good optometrist :)

Oh, well I guess it does average them rather than just removing lines. Whoops! :)

• 4 months later...

Ultima: Use zoom in FireFox, they're High res pictures from a wide-screen monitor.

anoxan: where do you get this information from, unless they are using a private consumer cable provider (Star Cable, Ohio) and doing this from a home computer, that's not possible. This was not an MPAA movie, it was a publicly distributed FREE StarWars Fan Film (PathWays) available from the creators own website as a direct download, or as a torrent, totally within not just international law, but the internationally illegal and World Court struck down DCMA of the US. What the hell would someone from the RIAA/MPAA want with my US IP when downloading non-member ANTI-MPAA distributions?

And if you have documentation on this, please pass it on, as I'll gladly file charges against them for invading my privacy when conducting LEGAL activities. I wouldn't be the first to do that! :)

Er, not sure about you, but I don't qualify a 500x35 resolution, scaled-down image to be "high res"... Anyway, pictures aside (it's still not clear) I've never seen/heard of brown/purple being anywhere on those graphs. If anything, though, my guess would be that it could be a problem with your Internet Explorer installation... why do I say this? The FAQ says that IE is integral in displaying the pieces graphs, and while that is a files graph, it's essentially the same graph as the pieces graph.

That would explain it, I think, even though it's only happened a very few times, I don't have internet suxplorer, at all (I run uTorrent on a windows VM, under Linux with FireFox. I haven't had a problem yet, but the scare-rethoric of anoxan has me totally confused as I don't download anything released in the US, I don't like US movies (for the most part), and most music I listen to is from central Europe or Asia, where rules fall under the International Copyright Act of 1996 (which allows limited free distribution), not the DMCA, and not within the jurisdiction of RIAA/MPAA being able to do anything, and not anything made/distributed by anyone involved with them.

Not sure why you're getting 500x35, as I uploaded at 1690X72. Oh Well. Guess image shack does downscale images a bit, or maybe I grabbed the wrong link of of that uploaded page.

• 3 years later...

whats funny is that even in 2006 on win xp, windows explorer and internet explorer were the same thing.

with one option change you could use each interchangeably.

also there is one more color in the pieces tab-- yellow = seems to mean that block/s of information is "wasted"

Archived