Skips Files Feature... How does it work?

themoleman

I looked through the forum but I didn't see anything about this... well, I did but someone asked something about a .dat file in the question and I was confused. I'm guessing this feature allows you to have files skipped when make a torrent that's in a directory with multiple files but there isn't a drop menu or anything, you have to type in the name of the files I guess but how do you type them in?

Can someone tell me how to use this when creating a torrent?

Uh...? Are you talking about the partfile? You can skip files with or without it, it's just that µTorrent will create the skipped files anyway if a piece belonging to it is downloaded as well. The partfile is simply where the unwanted data is dumped. Skipping is as easy as using the BitComet styled dialog, or right-clicking on the the Files tab...

• 4 weeks later...

How exactly would I skip two files when creating the torrent?

I tried typing this into the skip files field:

file1.iso | file2.iso

But it keeps adding them to the torrent regardless.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured it out...

I was being stupid and using spaces on either side of the | ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just had to search internet in order to decipher the syntax of that edit box for file exclusion. It would be much better if you included that description on the creation page. Most people, like myself, rarely ever create torrents and since the syntax is very restrictive, a short description is desirable.

Ok I agree that it's sucks if the documentation for a command is not available without having to search the whole net...

On the other hand I never bothered much because I simple create a directory with a meaningful name for my planed torrent and I put all my files / subdirectories in it. Thus no need to exclude something anymore. :D

• 5 months later...

oki but what about excluding a Folder from the main directory you want to "torrent" it? i tried various forms but it doesn`t work. Do anyone know how to skip a folder or a file from the folder when creating a torrent?

Ex: In the MAIN directory i have a file A.exe and the folders X and Y and inside them are the files B.exe, respectivly C.exe. I want to Creat a torrent and skip the file B.exe and C.exe. I can not use " |*.exe " because in this way the torrent created will exclude not only the files from the folders, but also A.exe.

Thanks

//LE: damn...i got it... all i had to do was: *X|*Y and the folder waren`t included in the torrent.

Hope it will save time for others because i figured it out in 1h :P

From a file system point of view (at least FAT) technically a folder is like a file. The difference is merely a flag like 'd' for directory. So following this logics I assume that a directory will be treated as a file by uT when you want to exclude some of the torrent.

So in the example of popey X¦Y should exclude the folders X and Y.

• 3 months later...

This is not a stupid question at all and I think he phrased it just fine.

What I want to do is exclude all files in the directory except for the one new file I'm updating. (So that, in each of my new torrents, it adds a single file to the existing directory, so that it doesn't clutter up everyone's torrent directory).

Wildcards exist but I can't find anything on negative wildcards, which is what would be needed. I'll post if i find anything.

Archived